Are Dry Snorkels Really that Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
A simple J is the way to go. Learn to use it and you'll never see the need for a "dry" snorkel.
Walter hit the nail on the head (as usual).
"Dry" snorkels are just an industry gimmick to part you with your money, and an attempt to make up for bad technique with equipment.

Don't get a dry snorkel--learn a proper displacement clear.

Personally for pool work and when I'm with new students I use a "DUGI" by Aeris. Not sure if you can get them any more. It's a simple-J that is flexible so I can fold it up and put it in a pocket if I feel like it.

edit: By "part you with your money" I mean it. I worked for a LDS several summers ago. We sold dry snorkels--bought from the distributor for $12-$15, sold them retail for $45-$50. Why do you think dive shops push them so much? :wink: Same thing with masks. Don't buy those 6-pane crazy windows-everywhere purge masks for $65...because your LDS bought it for $15. That, plus they're just stupid.

LG Diver:
My snorkel is extremely dry, since it now permanently resides in the garage. :rofl3:

:rofl3:

too true

H2Andy:
hey, Wisnu, sort of off-topic, but i've always wondered

does Darussalam mean anything? i think it has the word for "God" as a component. is that correct?

The official meaning of Darussalam is "the Abode of Peace" - yes, a small country, peacefull - but also dry as dry as my snorkel.

Bulky snorkels are a pain for diving, hard to stow and you'll probably find you don't like dragging it around on your mask. Realize that those really "dry" snorkels, even if they work well, are only dry for snorkeling - when diving obviously the other end is not in your mouth and it fills with water.

For actual snorkeling the bulk doesn't matter quite as much though I think you're better off without it, I agree learning a displacement clear is a better idea for that. However, there are lots of snorkels with purges and/or splash guards that aren't too bulky and can make snorkeling more enjoyable because they help deal with the annoying bits of water that splash in or whatever.

Personally, I have a simple roll up snorkel for diving that I keep in a pocket, and a drier (but not "dry") snorkel I use for snorkeling.

Walter:
A simple J is the way to go. Learn to use it and you'll never see the need for a "dry" snorkel.

That depends on who the user is and what it's used for.

For a diver, something really simple and fold-able so it can be bent and stuffed into a pocket when diving works really well. Especially since it won't be hanging on the mask strap, while underwater.

However, for someone who doesn't dive, and goes snorkeling a few times a year, and doesn't like inhaling water, the completely dry snorkels like Ocean Master work quite nicely.

Terry

Web Monkey:
That depends on who the user is and what it's used for.

For a diver, something really simple and fold-able so it can be bent and stuffed into a pocket when diving works really well. Especially since it won't be hanging on the mask strap, while underwater.

However, for someone who doesn't dive, and goes snorkeling a few times a year, and doesn't like inhaling water, the completely dry snorkels like Ocean Master work quite nicely.

Terry

I disagree. Anyone who is comfortable enough in the water to be snorkeling can learn to use a simple J snorkel. Yes, if one is too lazy to take time to learn required skills, a dry snorkel will be easier. If one is scared to be snorkeling, a dry snorkel will give a false sense of security.

If the lazy person gets off their butt and puts in a little time with a patient teacher, the simple J will become even easier than the dry snorkel.

If the person who is afraid of the water has a problem, the false sense of security will become like mist in the heat of the day, leaving the snorkeler with just their fear. If that person would take time to learn snorkeling skills, they will gain a well based confidence in their own abilities. This confidence will not desert them because it is not based on a questionable piece of equipment, but upon their own ability.

I learned to snorkel on a simple J snorkel when I was a young pup, well before the purge valve styles became available, and I can clear them easily and effectively.

I prefer a snorkel with an accordion bend and a simple valve on the bottom, however. I have a Tilos (that I only use when actually snorkeling) that cost a whopping $15. Drops out of the way when I'm not using it (unlike a J), and clears easily and with less force than a J requires.

Dry snorkels seem like a waste unless you frequently snorkel, and in choppy waters. (Walter, I don't care how good you are at clearing, splashes coming down the pipe of a J while inhaling aren't fun.) If you fall into that category, pick up a dry snorkel, by all means. Just don't take it diving.

CompuDude:
(Walter, I don't care how good you are at clearing, splashes coming down the pipe of a J while inhaling aren't fun.)

Clearing a snorkel isn't the only skill that should be learned.

The best accessory I have found for my snorkle is ScubaPros quick release clip that lets me get the darn thing off my mask and stored where it belongs. I can't stand diving with a snorkle attached. For some reason, they do come in handy when snorkling.
:coffee:

I'll sell ya my snorkel for $20 if you want it =P It's a dry snorkel... and yes it closes up when water hits it... Spit it out if your going underwater with it (freediving), otherwise it'll suck the air out of your lungs! :D

Back
Top Bottom