Are Dry Snorkels Really that Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if "dry" snorkels really do their job. I just ordered a Cressi Sub "Sigma" and it looks like it might stop the water from coming in the top, but I wonder if it works. The resiviour at the bottom where the purge valve is located is like a 50 gallon aquarium. Perhaps thats what makes it so dry. Can anyone explain the technology?
:popcorn:

Nothing is dry in diving :D
One thing that dry snorkels do well, is let the water out the bottom of the snorkel, which results in clearing with less force. That resevior will hold the water that does get in, while letting you breathe past it if you fail to fully clear it on the first blast.

well, regular snorkels are pretty fragging dry

so ...

you don't really need the "dry" ones

I use the Mojave Dry and it helps. The biggest value is in the ocean diring the surface swim or skindiving when things are choppy. I have no trouble blowing a J tube clear but not having the unexpected salt water coming down the chute helps me ward off motion sickness. The downside is that when a wave hits it the valve will close halting your breath which is almost as irritating. I still like the thing.

For warm water I did just a plain tube flex snorkel since without a hood the snorkel top cage irritates my nearly bald head.

Nothing is perfect or absolute.

Pete

There are two types of technologies at work with dry snorkles.

As Jchull noted, a purge valve at the bottom of the snorkle allows water to be expelled from the bottom of the snorkle instead of blowing the water out of the top of the snorkle. This requires less energy as the water has less distance to travel and you are more likely to expell all of the water. The design of the purge valve also creates a sump (low spot) for the water to collect which helps prevent collected water from reducing the open diameter of the snorkle availble therefore there is less resistance and breathing is also easier.

The second technology at work with a dry snorkle is the valve located at the top of the snorkle. A flapper or ball valve is often used to prevent waves from entering the top of the snorkle helping reduce the amount of water entering the snorkle. Some versions also work to close the valve when diving under the water again reducing the water that can enter the snorkle.

DSAO

Ocean Master has an automatic valve that actually closes tgheintake when water hits it. It's dry when big waves break over it and is even dry underwater, although it's a lot harder to breathe on there.

My wife loves hers for snorkeling, however it's a big heavy thing, and you wouldn't want to take it with you diving.

Terry

shotthebreeze:
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if "dry" snorkels really do their job. I just ordered a Cressi Sub "Sigma" and it looks like it might stop the water from coming in the top, but I wonder if it works. The resiviour at the bottom where the purge valve is located is like a 50 gallon aquarium. Perhaps thats what makes it so dry. Can anyone explain the technology?
:popcorn:

hey, Wisnu, sort of off-topic, but i've always wondered

does Darussalam mean anything? i think it has the word for "God" as a component. is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom