Are Aqua Lung Dimension I3s Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no diving experience with the equipment, but I think the i3 is a sound design from an experienced manufacturer. Many people I know seem to like it. I've treated one case of a rapid ascent/gas embolism in a diver using an i3. We're not sure how it came about--she has limited memory of the event itself due to the neurological hit. It was her third dive on her first boat trip with her new i3, and all her previous dives had been with a conventional inflator. It doesn't seem there was much to snag on during this particular dive, so it was likely related to her operation of the lever in the wrong direction rather than being snagged or stuck. She had a rapid ascent from about 50 fsw. Her equipment was brand new and nothing was found wrong with it after the accident. She entered our chamber a quadriplegic, and walked out under her own power (a dramatic recovery, thank goodness).

I repeat--I've treated one case of AGE in a diver using an i3, and lots of others using conventional inflators. People hit the wrong buttons, the inflators get stuck open,etc. My advice for most people would be to pick one style of equipment, and be very familiar with it--train with it and dive it. Familiarity and realistic training is the key. Practice disconnecting the inflator hose while diving (something to do during your safety stop). This could be especially helpful for i3 users, where you may have to feel for the disconnect behind the lever rather than visualizing it directly (I'm assuming--if you i3 divers can see the connection easily, my apologies).

I have no diving experience with the equipment, but I think the i3 is a sound design from an experienced manufacturer. Many people I know seem to like it. I've treated one case of a rapid ascent/gas embolism in a diver using an i3. We're not sure how it came about--she has limited memory of the event itself due to the neurological hit. It was her third dive on her first boat trip with her new i3, and all her previous dives had been with a conventional inflator. It doesn't seem there was much to snag on during this particular dive, so it was likely related to her operation of the lever in the wrong direction rather than being snagged or stuck. She had a rapid ascent from about 50 fsw. Her equipment was brand new and nothing was found wrong with it after the accident. She entered our chamber a quadriplegic, and walked out under her own power (a dramatic recovery, thank goodness).

I repeat--I've treated one case of AGE in a diver using an i3, and lots of others using conventional inflators. People hit the wrong buttons, the inflators get stuck open,etc. My advice for most people would be to pick one style of equipment, and be very familiar with it--train with it and dive it. Familiarity and realistic training is the key. Practice disconnecting the inflator hose while diving (something to do during your safety stop). This could be especially helpful for i3 users, where you may have to feel for the disconnect behind the lever rather than visualizing it directly (I'm assuming--if you i3 divers can see the connection easily, my apologies).
In the current PADI Open Water Diver's Course is a skill where you "disconnect your inflator hose" regardless of the equipment type. This skill is taught/reviewed in this course because it is so important if you actually need it (see example of possibility of run-a-way inflator above). It is easy to perform but like all skills you must practice it every so often.

I Hate to resurface an old thread but this BCD almost cost me my life. Since i have been teaching I have not used the side inflate/deflate lever, leave the cap on it and have installed a regular LPI hose.

I took an open water diver to work on his advanced and went for the deep dive portion. We hit the planned depth at 80 feet and I kept sinking.

Long story short the side lever was stuck in the deflate position so no air could be added. I did manage to make it to the surface and complete a safety stop but not with out a cost to me.

The student was great and when given the signal to ascend, he did and make his stop and completed the dive with no incident.

DONT USE THOSE THINGS.

Long story short the side lever was stuck in the deflate position so no air could be added. I did manage to make it to the surface and complete a safety stop but not with out a cost to me.
Curious. What was the "cost to you"? Sounds like you made it out OK. Did you ditch your weights?

Curious. What was the "cost to you"? Sounds like you made it out OK. Did you ditch your weights?
a ride across the island, a ride in the chamber, no water for a week and a follow up eval. i am still physically exhausted and sore from all of this.
I will have to get a new BCD. Not using that thing again.

I see posts sometimes about just using a regular inflator hose with an i3. Though that works, I suspect that having the i3 mechanism in place and diving with it yet never actually exercising it might not be the best plan. I could see how that might result in accumulated rust/silt/gunk and cause things like what you experienced, made worse by it not being obvious since you’re not used to using the lever.

(I don’t use the i3 but my wife does and likes it.)

I've owned and used an i3 since around 2011/2012. I did switch to a backplate. I never had an issues with it, even down to 90 feet or so on the Keystorm in the St Lawrence. I never had a snag issue as I usually dove with my hand over the lever for good diving position/ability to make small adjustments (i used to overuse my bcd). I did have a problem with the weight pouches, the handles broke (they designed them at some point).

Depending on where you are, they may not be common. When I was diving in Northern NY (Clayton, A-bay), the local shop (hunt's) was selling them. Down in Texas where I am now (Belton), I saw one in the last 2 years and that was recently. FWIW She was diving her daughter's BC and reported some difficulties (though I don't recall the specifics) probably stemming from being used to a more conventional BC.

a ride across the island, a ride in the chamber, no water for a week and a follow up eval. i am still physically exhausted and sore from all of this.
I will have to get a new BCD. Not using that thing again.
You told the story much better in the other thread!

I have not used the i3 but I know some instructors that love it. Having a second inflator mechanism on your working BCD sounds like a bad idea to me. By leaving the i3 in place but not using it you effectively have a failure point that never gets checked. There is a reason that we add and dump air as part of BWARF.

I don't service many i3 systems (they are pretty rare) but when I do get to check one out, they almost always need a full service. In some cases, the internal cords stretch and depressing the lever doesn't open all of the dump valves. For some reason, Aqualung said this is not a warranty issue -- the customer needs to pay for factory install of new cables. I have heard they are easy to dive but they are overly complicated and traditional inflators are more reliable IMO.

Back
Top Bottom