Are Aqua Lung Dimension I3s Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i3 - a ridiculous, non-standard, over engineered solution to a non-problem.

Saw a person using one in a pool and struggling with it. The worst part is that the standard 'elephant's trunk' was missing; it would be awful for any rescuer who's not familiar with that BCD to have to help someone.

A BCD is a bag of air. The i3 makes a mockery of simplicity.

IMHO.

I recently purchased an I3 and when I was at the local dive shop (very knowledgeable technical divers), they strongly recommended that I get rid of it as they believe the set up to be hazardous for California diving.
Just in California?
You now have an i3. Learn to use it safely and also teach you dive buddy/team.
The concern was over getting the inflator caught on kelp, rocks, and just eventual equipment failure.
All equipment fails.
Some sea grass might jam that i3 handle (???) while not jamming a classical press button (???).
The relevant question remains: are both you and your dive buddy capable of using the i3 corretly in an emergency?
Additionally, since it's not a common set up, my dive buddies won't be familiar with it in the event of an emergency.
Amen.
Which is also true for most sidemount divers and rebreather divers.
Their comments all make perfect sense and seem reasonable,
Comments tend to do that.
but I haven't seen any info posted about divers having problems. I'm a new diver and could use some insight.
In i3 there is no oral inflation, right?

And I wonder how the physical connection is made to open the valves.

We have a robust and time tested (like decades, really) system that requires the diver to master TWO BUTTONS. If that is too much, then perhaps you should find a simpler hobby? Ok, ok, the i3 is usable, but it isn't a solution to everything.

Just in California?
You now have an i3. Learn to use it safely and also teach you dive buddy/team.

All equipment fails.
Some sea grass might jam that i3 handle (???) while not jamming a classical press button (???).
The relevant question remains: are both you and your dive buddy capable of using the i3 corretly in an emergency?

Amen.
Which is also true for most sidemount divers and rebreather divers.

Comments tend to do that.

In i3 there is no oral inflation, right?

And I wonder how the physical connection is made to open the valves.

We have a robust and time tested (like decades, really) system that requires the diver to master TWO BUTTONS. If that is too much, then perhaps you should find a simpler hobby? Ok, ok, the i3 is usable, but it isn't a solution to everything.
The I3 does have an Oral inflator, it's smaller than normal and stores folded up above the shoulder. It seems to be intended more for emergency use.

The I3 does have an Oral inflator, it's smaller than normal and stores folded up above the shoulder. It seems to be intended more for emergency use.
If you or the rescuer can find it when needed.

Everyone knows what an elephant's trunk inflator hose looks like and how it works. Not so the hidden i3 inflator.

I loved mine

Never got caught on anything, never had a single issue from it ever.

It’s just a bit “non-standard” and it became a chore to have to explain the system to each new buddy.

When I did my rescue course I was asked to put the standard inflator back on for a few weeks and I just kinda went back to using the standard inflator setup instead of the i3.

Then I got a BPW setup, then went down the tech route etc but I’ve still got that BCD in my garage and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom