Considering changing my Aqua Lung i3 inflator to a AL powerline Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I each have an Aqua Lung Axiom i3 BCD. The i3 control system has a lever connected to the BCD that connects to the LPI. This enables me to inflate/deflate my BCD by moving the lever up & down. Very simple, easy peasy! Prior to my Covid adventure this systems worked great with no issues what so ever. This past weekend I did my first dives post Covid. This was a three tank dive. This was the first time I had the BCD in the tight quarters on the boat with the two sets of three tanks. I found the lever hit the bench every now and then and would start inflating. I've heard this issue in the past, however, I've heard it's happened with other divers. Until this weekend I've never experienced it.

Now I'm contemplating on switching it out and replacing it with the Aqua Lung Powerline Inflator. I used to love the i3 lever system but now I'm having second thoughts.

Thoughts from anyone?

Interesting, I had not seen this BCD (or lever mechanism) before. Certainly an innovative solution in search of a problem. Definitely seems accident-prone, and not clear to me what prevents the same problem occuring underwater (if you accidentally bump it).

Yes, you're better off with a simpler power-inflator hose. Plain elbow, not the ones with the pull-dumps. Easier to manage and no chance of accidental inflation or deflation.

Interesting, I had not seen this BCD (or lever mechanism) before. Certainly an innovative solution in search of a problem.

I am somewhat familiar with this "mechanism" since it came out around 20 years ago, I have yet to hear anyone come with a valid objection to it or credible criticism. I don't know what gives this opinion especially since never saw it or used it before. Your line of "thinking" can apply to any other "innovative" idea that came to dive equipment, perhaps weight integrated BC's, octo's, etc.

Definitely seems accident-prone, and not clear to me what prevents the same problem occuring underwater (if you accidentally bump it).

MANY other folks have been using it over the last 20+ years and I am certain if this were an issue with the inflator, the manufacturer would have done something about it by now. It seems that it isn't an issue at all.

Yes, you're better off with a simpler power-inflator hose.
And what you are basing this advice on here please? "Experience"?

Plain elbow, not the ones with the pull-dumps. Easier to manage and no chance of accidental inflation or deflation.
What's wrong with the pull-dump? I have used them for 30+ years without any issues whatsoever. The only potential issue is with the power inflator when the o'ring or the valve are worn out but I doubt you will do away with the power inflator.

I am somewhat familiar with this "mechanism" since it came out around 20 years ago, I have yet to hear anyone come with a valid objection to it or credible criticism. I don't know what gives this opinion especially since never saw it or used it before. Your line of "thinking" can apply to any other "innovative" idea that came to dive equipment, perhaps weight integrated BC's, octo's, etc.

20 years is well past patent lifetime, and it does not look like any other manufacturer has implemented a similar design in their BCD's. Truly innovative solutions will gain market traction. Both your other examples were implemented by the vast majority of manufacturers and are popular with buyers -- weight integrated BC's, octo's. I'm curious what problem this is solving.

MANY other folks use it for the last 20+ years and I am certain if this is an issue with the inflator, the manufacturer would have done something about it by now. It seems that it isn't an issue at all.

OP mentioned it getting accidentally inflated on boat. That sounds like a problem. It may not be a big enough problem for the manufacturer to fix, or the return on investment may not warrant fixing it.

And what you are basing this advice on here please? "Experience"?

Mate, I think you need to chill out a bit. Happy to respond to your technical comments.

What's wrong with the pull-dump? I have used them for 30+ years without any issues whatsoever. The only potential issue is with the power inflator when the o'ring or the valve are worn out but I doubt you will do away with the power inflator.

I have seen "pull dump" hoses like the one below, literally ripped off of a wing. What happens when that is ripped off a wing, it no longer holds air.

IMG_5681.JPG

Pull dump hoses have extra places to break that you can’t easily see, and are a PITA to fix when it happens. Which it has to me, I avoid using them now.

I think extra places to break you can’t easily see is part of the objections to the i3?

'Bet it is as simple as replacing the oral inflate valve, with the inflator assembly from a regular (non-i3) Axiom. Ask your LDS. 🍝
1654760742223.png

'Bet it is as simple as replacing the oral inflate valve, with the inflator assembly from a regular (non-i3) Axiom. Ask your LDS. 🍝
View attachment 727402
You are correct, it's an easy swap out, the Aqua Lung Powerline2 Inflator is only $60.00. This makes it a simply and economical solution if I choose to swap it out!

Pull dump hoses have extra places to break that you can’t easily see, and are a PITA to fix when it happens. Which it has to me, I avoid using them now.

I think extra places to break you can’t easily see is part of the objections to the i3?
Some of the objections I’ve seen in the past here:

Non-standard gear

If it broke while in vacation, good luck getting it fixed. It was unclear if AL dealers kept the replacement parts regularly in stock

Could get caught on stuff uw, like kelp. I think there was one diver who actually did get caught on kelp.

Note: a former regular buddy of mine (quit diving as much as a another hobby took priority) has an I3 so I saw it up close for several years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom