Are all S600s the Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a metal air barrel kit you can purchase to upgrade older S600.

Any idea on the cost?

IIRC it retails for about $40 or so. I don't work in the retail side of a shop (i do classes & some repairs here and there), so I can't say for sure.

I was discussing this with my instructor the other day and he mentioned that metal barreled second stages tend to stand the test of time better as compared to their fully plastic brethren. Is there any data to back this up?

Probably not, but metal air barrels do have better heat transfer properties and so the air gets a bit warmed and moistened as it goes through the barrel. However, it's not like having a full metal case 2nd stage. Chromed brass is definitely more durable than most plastics but it's also vulnerable to corrosion, which the plastic is not. So as far as 'long lasting' who knows. I have several full metal 109 2nd stages that are at least 25-30 years old and they work perfectly, some even look perfect.

The S600 is a nice 2nd stage, not my personal favorite but lots of people like them.

IIRC it retails for about $40 or so. I don't work in the retail side of a shop (i do classes & some repairs here and there), so I can't say for sure.

If that's the case then Beaverdivers could do it for $20. :wink:

Any idea on the cost?

I paid $80 to upgrade mine, that included the barrel,a new knob and labour. The barrel was around $40

---------- Post added March 16th, 2013 at 06:29 AM ----------

Yes I am if you want to hear it

BTW, aren't you applying a double standard for complaining that I brought Hog into a Scuba Pro discussion when you brought Aqualung into a TUSA vs Hog thread?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/442162-choosing-reg-tusa-vs-hog.html

Any idea on the cost?

Somewhere between -$4.18 and $13.11 was my cost to upgrade an S550 to be balanced adjustable and have a metal barrel.

The s550 was sold to a fellow ScubaBoarder for $75. The replacement Hog Duroc second stage from DRIS was $79 (Black Friday). Shipping was $9.11 but I had some unused loyalty points to cash in ($17.29) for an out the door price of $70.82.

I suspect that the barrel alone is about $50. The G250V barrel is. Changing a S550 to S600 involves more parts. As far as labor goes, upgrading an S600 to the metal barrel should be no additional labor if you have it done at the same time as a rebuild. Otherwise, it's probably just paying for a rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom