Are all S600s the Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was discussing this with my instructor the other day and he mentioned that metal barreled second stages tend to stand the test of time better as compared to their fully plastic brethren. Is there any data to back this up?

1) Teller lives in Texas and doesn't have to worry about very cold water. 2) Those comments about first stage placement are irrelevant as this thread is about second stages. The WOB comments are pointless also because again he's talking about 1st and 2nd stages. The comments about "replacing" are irrelevant because he's already invested in a similar setup. Of course it wouldn't make sense to sell it and start all over.

FWIW, I dive a used MK20 ( with retrofit MK25 upgrades ) on my pony with a Hog 2nd stage. I have no problems mixing brands where the specs and values make sense.

I just got off the phone with LP and they said that SP didn't start using the metal barrel till 2013. The cheaper S600 is from last year but has the plastic barrel according to them.

Teller,

Look in the following thread for ScubPro Kate's remarks.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/444040-2013-2012-mk25-s600.html

It looks like 2011 they started their change over to metal (but maybe started marketing the change in 2013...IDK for sure on the marketing part).

~Oldbear~

I had small cracks around the area where the plastic barrel was molded around metal inlet

I guess that can be considered "a data":)

I was discussing this with my instructor the other day and he mentioned that metal barreled second stages tend to stand the test of time better as compared to their fully plastic brethren. Is there any data to back this up?

I had small cracks around the area where the plastic barrel was molded around metal inlet

Might I ask after how long? I'm just curious to see what expected lifetime is of these plastic second stages, namely the C200 that I just recently bought. I have a US Divers setup that my dad gave me, and it still checks out fine after nearly 30 years.

I think its about 8 years old
I was not the original owner though so I cannot speak of all the conditions it was used in. It did perform with no issues though.
Might I ask after how long? I'm just curious to see what expected lifetime is of these plastic second stages, namely the C200 that I just recently bought. I have a US Divers setup that my dad gave me, and it still checks out fine after nearly 30 years.

No, that is a datum. Data is plural while datum is singular.

Which is why we say "These data indicate that you were frequently asleep in class", and "this datum excludes your opinion from informed consideration".

While we are on this topic, Please, please, please learn what "begs the question" really means. It does NOT imply that further inquiry is needed or suggested. It means that an essential logical or factual step is missing.

"I do not trust him. When did he stop stealing?" begs the question "he was a thief". It is a vital but missing logical step in a sequence. What's missing is in the middle, not at the end of a argumentative comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom