Are all S600s the Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 2011 I think, SP started making the S600 with a metal air barrel, the difference between that model and the new 2013 model is cosmetic only. Hopefully DA Aquamaster or Herman will chime is as they seem to know a huge amount about SP and regs in general.

Last edited:
The S600 had three configurations, the first was "configuration A" and the second was "configuration B". The difference is that one had a hard plastic knob (and different micro adjustment) and the other has a rubber knob (knob being the diver adjustment knob). Later (2011 sounds right) they came out with the metal air barrel. While both configuration A and B can be coverted to a metal air barrel, the ones with the hard plastic knob need less parts to convert.

Not to thread jack, but Hog second stages are 1/3 of the price and come with metal barrels. AFAIK the only thing you give up is the micro adjustments. Just saying... Breaths nice on my used MK20 (which to me is close enough to an MK25 and between the two pieces still cost less then $240.)

Not to thread jack, but Hog second stages ...

Then don't hijack it :silly:

Sorry I just couldn't resist the urge to say it...it's Friday :)

Do we really have to bring HOG in every regulator thread :S

Not to thread jack, but Hog second stages are 1/3 of the price and come with metal barrels. AFAIK the only thing you give up is the micro adjustments. Just saying... Breaths nice on my used MK20 (which to me is close enough to an MK25 and between the two pieces still cost less then $240.)

Then don't hijack it :silly:

Sorry I just couldn't resist the urge to say it...it's Friday :)

Fair enough. :) If ScubaPro would deliver more value, I wouldn't be tempted. (PS- Clearly Teller is cost conscious since he's looking for the lowest price and wondering if there are any catches.)

Do we really have to bring HOG in every regulator thread :S

Found an interesting review...Precision Diving ? Product Review: HOG Regulators

During my testing of the HOG regulator, I did 32 dives with it in moderately cold water. Depth ranges were from 20 feet down to 100 feet. I did not take the regulator into a more aggressive environment (i.e. deep tech dive or wreck penetration). I’m very leery of taking new, untested gear on extreme dives. So I can’t speak intelligently on how they perform at deeper depths. Overall, the HOG D1 coldwater regulator performed similar to my Apeks. There were slight differences that I noticed about WoB and position of the first stage. Otherwise, the HOG and Apeks were similar. When comparing the HOG to my Scubapro, there is no comparison. The Scubapro had an easeir WoB and gas delivery. The Scubapro also beat the HOG in first stage placement as the Scubapro doesn’t stick out as far as the HOG and interfere with reaching a valve knob. The only down side to Scubapro is that they can free flow quite easily in very cold water. Which is why I use Apeks on my doubles and Scubapro on my deco bottles.

While the HOG regulator was fine, I can’t justify replacing my Apeks and Scubapro regulators. The primary reason is that I can work on my Apeks regulators. Since the HOG and Apeks are very similar, I can’t see spending a bunch of money on another regulator repair class for something that I already can do. HOG is the only company that allows their customers to learn how to rebuild the regulators, but it is limited to technical divers only. I haven’t looked at the course in great detail, so I don’t know the specifics.
When I look online, I’m seeing the HOG regulators being sold as a cheaper alternative to Apeks. I can’t justify the cost of replacing my Apeks with HOGs. Especially considering that my Apeks have performed flawlessly for me in the eight years I’ve owned them. There is nothing new or innovative about the HOG regulators. While the HOG regulators are cheaper than Apeks and Scubapro, if that is their only selling advantage, I’ll pass. If you are looking for a cheap regulator to use in shallow depths, the HOG is fine. But if you are looking for a regulator with great work of breathing, then I’d stick with Scubapro and Apeks.

Yes the metal barrel feature is great.
In cold water they are more freezing resistant. I dove my Old S600 converted to metal barrel down to 36f with no freeflows. The plastic ones become finicky below 40f.
In all types of water it reduces cotton mouth effect.

Is the metal barrel a good feature to have? What about the MK25? Are they all the same?

---------- Post added March 15th, 2013 at 11:38 AM ----------

Check the threads on SP forum IIRC SP let the dealers sell their old 2012 stock at a lower price. The differences between 2012 and 2013 were discussed and IIRC they are cosmetic.

Leisurepro has S600s for $239 and what seems to be the same S600 for $419. Are these just last years models or is there a difference? Are all S600s the same regardless of when they were manufactured?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom