Are all Jet Fins Created Equal? We review 3 Jet style fins from Scubapro, Deep6 and XDeep.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well not really. The original nanufacturer is still making them
JETFIN with springs straps - Beuchat
Beuchat actually came out first with the Jetfin. Cousteau used the Beuchat Jetfin for their movie, "World Without Sun" in the 1960s, much to the consternation of Scubapro, who had just bought the rights for USA manufacture of Jetfins. Beuchat also had a full-foot version of the Jetfin.

I still have my lightning Jetfins, which I occasionally use. They last forever. Somewhere I did fin tests in the pool, and have placed the results on ScubaBoard somewhere. I'll see whether I can dig them up.

SeaRat

PS--I found the Fin Trials spreadsheet (below) and took a JPEG off it too. Also, I used the Lightning Jet Fins during my years as a USAF Pararescueman, and here show being picked up out of the Columbia River from a HH-34 helicopter. We liked the Jetfin at that time because the alternative was the AMF Voit Duck Feet (somewhat different from the Swimaster Duck Feet). The AMF Voit duck feet tended to cause cramps in the arch of the foot over time, and the Jetfin had a better foot pocket.

PS2--I just watched the video, and it is apparent that the predominant kick by the reviewer is the frog kick. Note that the vents really don't function at all with a frog kick. The normal crawl kick the reviewer used is again a modified kick, in that the down stroke never went below the horizontal plane of the body. I'm pretty sure this is now taught, as it keeps people from inadvertently kicking the coral of the reef. But I worked, and now play, in much different environments, where a full kick is required to move against a river's current, or to gain a helicopter hoist while towing a victim. So I don't really see a value in his "test."

Attachments

• HH-34 Water Pickup.jpg
    HH-34 Water Pickup.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Fin Trials 2010.xls
    86 KB · Views: 87
  • Fin Trials from Excel.png
    Fin Trials from Excel.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 124
Great video. The Xdeep fins come in 3 stiffness levels, any idea which one was in the video? I currently dive Eddys but I've been considering the Xdeep fin as a more negative option. Way too much flex in the ones that were displayed in the video.
The ones we used were the medium flex. I feel as though the comparative "issue" with these comes from a combination of their smaller size and softer blade - but we're talking minor differences. In reality they were all really good fins, with the choice being heavy or light. I'm a fan of the D6 Eddy because I am a feet down kinda diver, and these help just a tiny bit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom