Are all Jet Fins Created Equal? We review 3 Jet style fins from Scubapro, Deep6 and XDeep.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary_Ward

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Imagine 3 dive pro's having a beer (or two) and the conversation comes around to scuba diving fins. Specifically Jet Fins, and more importantly Scubapro Jet Fins. Imagine now how the conversation turned into an underwater blindfold review of all the "Jet" style fins we have in the shop....

No, I couldn't imagine how that conversation developed either....

So here we have Jon, reviewing "Jet" style fins, blindfolded to determine if "All Jet Fins are created Equal"

Whilst Jon is a clear fan of the Scubapro's, and his are old, worn and comfortable. I am a fan of the Deep6 Eddy's. Even though they are a little bit harder than the Scubapro, they are a lot lighter. They're positively buoyant in salt water, which just helps a tiny bit more for me to get that nice trim position, especially when on CCR. Oh and they're Orange too :)

Even Scubapro's Jetfins are not all the same. Pocket size has changed so much that it's difficult to tell if an XXL is going to be too large or too small.

Even Scubapro's Jetfins are not all the same. Pocket size has changed so much that it's difficult to tell if an XXL is going to be too large or too small.
That might explain why Jon's XL fins were way too small for me and we had to remove my boots to get the fins off me.....

I'm interested in the differences in vent designs between otherwise similar jet-style fins - presumably small differences here would have a significant impact on hydrodynamics. SP Jet Fins (and Hollis F1's, maybe a few others) have a lot of overlap in the vents. Other fins like Rocket Fins or RK3's have little to no overlap. I believe the overlap is trickier to manufacture from a molding perspective, and may have been part of the patent. But does overlap make a difference in kick power or upstroke efficiency? Or is it all a wash as long as you have a big paddle on your foot?

I've also heard of copycat fins with "vents that go the wrong way" but I'm not sure which model that anecdote refers to.

I'd love to see some proper scientific testing, or do that project myself one day.

In my experience the oldest Scubapro Jet Fin sizes have stayed pretty much the same since the 70s. I've got a pair of early lightning Jets that (circa 1980) that my Dad handed down to me in 1998 when I was about 14. I still use those to this day as my main fins when diving locally. I've also got a pair of the modern Made In Taiwan Jet fins in that come with the spring strap in red. The only difference is that the Made In Taiwan Jets have a shorter spring strap than the one that you can buy aftermarket from Scubapro but the foot pocket is otherwise the same.

For another comparison my wife uses my childhood pair of Lg Jets from the late 80s with an aftermarket Scubapro spring strap. A friend of ours has the Made In Taiwan Green Jets in Lg that she bought this year. The only difference, aside from the material, is that the aftermarket Scubapro spring strap is longer than the ones that come on the Taiwan made Jets. The fin themselves have pretty much identical dimensions.

You're right that when you get into the larger sizes like XXL they do get a little wonky and it will definitely depend on the year it was made as to what you are getting. But if you're a Men's size 11 or smaller the sizes have been pretty consistent for decades.

Back
Top Bottom