Are all Jet Fins Created Equal? We review 3 Jet style fins from Scubapro, Deep6 and XDeep.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a Scubapro add:
The Jet fin is without a doubt the best known fin in the world and has been a favourite amongst military, commercial, professional and technical divers!
I found this not to be the case, first chance I could [ it was common to request and to be allowed to use some items once approved] I bought at my own expense Mares Power plana fins in black [and a TUSA Mask]. Still a fan of Mares fins, there is a caveat, jet fins were OK when a dry suit was required.
Was never a fan of jet fins.
Waiting for the Jet Fin fan club flak.

Even Scubapro's Jetfins are not all the same. Pocket size has changed so much that it's difficult to tell if an XXL is going to be too large or too small.

I had an old pair of Jets that I used for all my tech diving, XL's, they worked with my dry suit too, then they finally died, went to get a new pair of XL's and the foot pocket was completely different, smaller and narrower, had to go to the XXL's.

I bought a pair of used Jets, to me they're like noodles on my feet. My D6 Eddy's are way stiffer (although too light for drysuit). I like my F1's a lot.

I have seen other peoples Jets and they look stiffer than mine. Mine are pretty old, so who knows...

Over a half century of diving, I've tried Jet Fins three times. Each time I decided to sell them. They don't fit my foot shape (but of course they might fit yours), they are too heavy for my trim (but of course might be OK or even help yours) and they are heavy to travel with. Currently using DiveRites and D6 Eddys. It is a very personal choice, so it is kind of irritating when people say Jet Fins (or any other fin) are the "only" fins worth having.

Over a half century of diving, I've tried Jet Fins three times. Each time I decided to sell them. They don't fit my foot shape (but of course they might fit yours), they are too heavy for my trim (but of course might be OK or even help yours) and they are heavy to travel with. Currently using DiveRites and D6 Eddys. It is a very personal choice, so it is kind of irritating when people say Jet Fins (or any other fin) are the "only" fins worth having.

Some people just like what they like, and like to stick with it regardless of other options. I switched from splits to jets in the last year and really like them. The only jet style fins I had worn before getting mine were Jon's Scubapro's and whilst I liked the action from them, I did not like the weight or how the foot pocket felt. I got the Deep6 (because I got a good deal), but also because they were Orange (don't ask, its a long story) and were available (RK3's in orange were not). I love them because they are light, but it took some adjusting to get used to the foot pocket in short booties. What I really liked about this experience was that we all had a go diving the different fins (OK, only in the shallows and only for a few minutes each), but it gave us an impression of the immediate differences. I think I could swing Jon on a longer dive to the D6's....

I had an old pair of Jets that I used for all my tech diving, XL's, they worked with my dry suit too, then they finally died, went to get a new pair of XL's and the foot pocket was completely different, smaller and narrower, had to go to the XXL's.

Another issue is some of the newer jets are super flexy.

I started with Jets in ‘71, they lasted years until the foot pocket tore, had another set, same thing happened, to much UV light and would still have the original set if I had taken better care of them.

After several fins through the years, each having some positive attributes and some with none I’m back to Jets! I find the action of the blade to be superb with the tip having just the right amount of flex to make them extremely versatile in bad conditions, for travel I’ll stick with GO Sport’s (if I ever travel again) but for the local stuff they really shine but they have to fit.

Great video. The Xdeep fins come in 3 stiffness levels, any idea which one was in the video? I currently dive Eddys but I've been considering the Xdeep fin as a more negative option. Way too much flex in the ones that were displayed in the video.

I presently have 2 sets of Jet Style Fins. One D6 Eddys for recreational diving and One Apex HD for Tech diving.

In both cases I use the fins to balance my trim. I am top heavy in Double and need to bring feet down, and I am leg heavy in Single and need to lighten my feet.

The others reasons for me to use Jet style is, I feel i have more power in Rescue Scenarios and I have a Wide foot, so most others cramp me up.

I've also heard of copycat fins with "vents that go the wrong way" but I'm not sure which model that anecdote refers to.
I did own a pair of those fins with the vents going "the wrong way". Terribly inefficient, I got rid of them just after a few dives.
They were manufactured by SP Italy, before Scubapro did reach the agreement with Beuchat (the only true Jetfin, originally patented by them) for selling Jet Fins here in Europe. In the seventies SP was already manufacturing the open-heel version of the Jetfin for the US, but evidently the agreement with Beuchat did not allow to sell them here until, say, 1978.
Those wrong-way vented fins were carrying the S logo, but no "Jet Fin" label. Unfortunately I do not find a photo of them.
These were my second pair of fins, after my first diving course: I did purchase them for being used with neoprene boots. I remember their very nice vanilla flavour...
Instead my previous pair, bought during the course for replacing my old "toy" fins, were true original Beuchat Jetfins, the version without strap, with a complete foot pocket with opening for fingers, which were considered fins for free diving at the time.
Those Beuchat, instead, were smelling badly!
It must be said that the first half of the course was a free diving course, and only after months we were given scuba systems (CC oxygen rebreathers).
After that bad experience with those SP fins with wrong vents I did come back to longer and flexible fins. After spending months learning the super efficient and powerful kicking style required for deep free diving I did never feel confortable with those short and rigid paddles...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom