AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes this is the first bad info I have heard of them as well. That is one of the reasons I was looking at them to dive with. Seems like he almost got chewed up and then to add insult to possible injury the other stuff occurred. I still rather shocked at what was written of the incident. I also am gald it was an incident vs. an accident.

Well interesting... wikel has extended the thread thereby increasing the advertising for Aqua Safari and Christi. It is certain that his vituperate posting has done more to help them rather than to diminish their customer base. I have to think of a way to collect a tithe of the extra business sure to come their way over this! :D
Oh I think you're getting your share. Do a google on AquaSafari without the blank and this thread is the number 3 hit. If you put the blank in the Aqua Safari on the title, you'd do better. :wink:

Originally Posted by wikel View Post
I guess we will agree to disagree. And yes I am taking a lot of what teknitroxdiver said as 100% accurate. I just don't see someone making up an incident like that. In fact, I'm very shocked that it would occur at all. ....."
I have no problem with TND. I know that we all color our words with our personal feelings, and I am sure he did somewhat - with all honest intention.

You, tho - with no insult intended, seem to be very gullible in the ways of people. :confused:

I guess we will agree to disagree. And yes I am taking a lot of what teknitroxdiver said as 100% accurate. I just don't see someone making up an incident like that. In fact, I'm very shocked that it would occur at all. This was not just one person, but two from that boat "representing the company" that were acting this way.

People don't go from very customer focused to straight out jack arses overnight. Maybe he has some bad apples, I can understand that. Hopefully he will take corrective measures to fix those issues.

I might have gone out on a limb here and overreacted, but I just don't see these as innocent mistakes by someone:

You're welcome to take my word however you wish of course...because I'm just a "vendor" around here...but technically, Aqua Safari is one of my competitors.

If I didn't believe that they were a fine operation and if I knew them to have frequent (or even infrequent) safety or customer service issues, I certainly wouldn't have bothered to come to their defense. I would have simply stayed out of this.

Even though I was not there (just as you weren't) and don't know with 100% accuracy what actually happened...I spoke up based on AS's reputation and by what I know of their operation personally. Although they may not be the right dive operation for everyone (because everyone has their personal preferences), I have nothing but respect for this operation.

The fact that you can't accept the professional manner in which Bill handled this, and that the parties actually involved have reached a mutual understanding and resolution to this incident is your loss...and in my opinion...extremely unreasonable. It must be tough being perfect all the time.

Just how is it up there on that high horse?

Gamehunter:

I will also be in Coz in March and be diving with Aquasafari. On previous trips there, they've done an excellent job and look forward to diving with them again.

Based on Wikel's comments, it's unlikely he'll be on our boats. :)

Have a great trip!

Wikel, what more would you like to happen with this situation? I'm not sure what more Bill could do. I can't tell him what to do with his employees, that's his business. I couldn't honestly even ask him to fire anyone over this. It's just not warranted. If the employees involved hadn't really cared, then yes, kick them to the curb. But in this case, I'm drawing a blank about what else he should do.

to MorganInCozumel thank you for pointing out that the dive flag idea was recommended over the sausage, which to me is very surprising, but if that's what they recommended I understand why you were using it, and hopefully you will look around and see something in use out on the water that you think is more obvious. Big & bright comes to mind, like a large inflatable base for that flag or a sausage.

To wikel. I too was a bit curious out the verbal exchange between the 3 of them but you have to consider that IF the boat captain had no idea that he had done it AND if the diver simply lit into him without the captain knowing what it was even about he just might get into the same mood of response. How many people have been suddenly yelled at about something they didn't do & therefore had no idea of what was being shouted at them or why. The instant response is usually to yell back & defend yourself, that's human nature. You need to get down to Cozumel & see first hand just how busy the popular dive sites are to appreciate just how easily something could happen near shore. You also might want to take the time to sit on the boat with one of those skilled captains to see just how well they can track a group of divers in open water with a strong current just by their bubbles.
Who you dive with is your choice but for now I think you need to re evaluate how to pick a good dive op, and forget about the idea that they are trying to hide dangerous practices from their customers or even worse put those customers at risk by breaking the safety rules. Also keep in mind that EVERY diver is responsible for their safety when near the surface & you are taught to make sure the surface is safe by doing at least one 360 degree rotating visual of potential dangers, plus you can hear a boat approaching unless you have very bad hearing.

to MorganInCozumel thank you for pointing out that the dive flag idea was recommended over the sausage, which to me is very surprising, but if that's what they recommended I understand why you were using it, and hopefully you will look around and see something in use out on the water that you think is more obvious. Big & bright comes to mind, like a large inflatable base for that flag or a sausage.

Interestingly enough, the instructor I exchanged words with had a flag similar to mine, not a sausage. The problem with a plain sausage is it tends to lay flat in the water unless tight tension is kept on the line. I do have plans to modify our flag to use both flag and sausage, with the drag of the sausage ensuring the flag stays upright. Also it will incorporate a weight on the sausage to help keep it upright. Hopefully it won't be too much to drag through the water, we'll just have to see about that.

Interestingly enough, the instructor I exchanged words with had a flag similar to mine, not a sausage. The problem with a plain sausage is it tends to lay flat in the water unless tight tension is kept on the line. I do have plans to modify our flag to use both flag and sausage, with the drag of the sausage ensuring the flag stays upright. Also it will incorporate a weight on the sausage to help keep it upright. Hopefully it won't be too much to drag through the water, we'll just have to see about that.
I have a fishing weight on the bolt clip that attaches to my sausage, holds it upright pretty well with no attention from me. The size of the weight would depend on the sausage.

I have seen Coz DMs use sausages that laid down, but they were still pretty visible. I just like mine up.

I appreciate your openness on this subject. :)

Does your flag design allow the flag to tip over quite a bit when towed?

Would you be willing to post an image of your flag to show the float design and where the line is attached? Or at least describe it?

Do you think this might be a factor in this incident? Does anyone else involved think so?

Do you think there is a possibility of other factors that might explain why three boat drivers approached the flag so closely?

Dave C

I find it ironic that Wikel rants about "disrespect" here and claims that an apology is not enough. Something in my gut tells me he's had some first hand experience with disrespect...and I'm not referring to him being the recipient of disrespectful treatment...I think he's had a few victims of his own.

The sense of "entitlement" here in the Cozumel forums the last week has been AMAZING to see, and it is difficult to watch all of the internet lurkers continue to beat the dive ops.

Both Bill and Christi continue to provide services and responses to try and help clarify and there continues to be people (who were never involved) saying "well your word is not good enough for me, prove it". The dive ops don't owe any of us anything.

Like most others, it is sad to hear of a near incident and that tempers probably flared, but the OP and dive flag guy are both satisfied. My hat continues to go off to the Cozumel dive ops for dealing with "tourists" like us...

Can't wait to actually get back to the island in March.

Back
Top Bottom