Aquarena Springs question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the government allows recreational divers in there at all. So are all of my scientific colleagues who know about it.

Something tells me this might not be the case much longer. :(

Can you explain. Do you know something I don't.

No, it's just a feeling. I could be wrong. It's happened before...

The situation and relationship with volunteer divers at AC is a pretty good one, as far as I can see. The volunteers have been extremely effective in grooming the main channel for hydrilla and such. That's something that would have been extremely hard to do using paid divers and staff, at least initially. The diving program is very carefully monitored and some folks don't like all the regulations and such, but they have to remember this is not simply a typical dive destination. It's a research area and has to be treated as such.
If the diver program was in jeopardy, I don't think they would be expending such energy, time and expense in rebuilding the dive facilities, so I tend to believe that the program is healthy. It's our job as volunteers to assist in making sure all dives run smoothly and in accordance to the guidelines set by the center and its staff.
Aquarena is a remarkable place and I hope it remains diveable for a long time to come.

Well, if anyone is interested, we are starting to put together dates for my next underwater archaeology workshop at Aquarena. If anyone is interested, please contact the center for more details...

thanks

Layne

Back
Top Bottom