Aquarena Springs question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What an incredibly bleak and "catch-22" type picture you paint! The conundrum is this...
Aquarena Center is fighting tooth and nail to stay alive fiscally, and the result is an alliance with sport divers. Some of that cooperative effort is extremely good. Take the battle with invasive species, for example. It's highly unlikely that the fight would have been even remotely as successful as it has been without the help of legions of recreational divers who have gone through the science diver program. And make no mistake about it--the dive program is powerful bait to pull in folks who might not otherwise know about the water issues facing Texas. The science diver program is a powerful educational tool that reaches much farther than just the facts concerning the springs. However, the practice of using the facility for dive classes is, understandably, a point that can be called into question. The necessity is still, of course, one that of simple financial survival. Let's face it, without substantially greater support from the university or some agency, it's questionable as to whether the Center can stay open and maintain its staff without participating in certain alliances.
All the dark scenarios you present are facts of life that cannot be avoided even if the center were to stop the classes immediately. Therefore, they are "non-unique arguments"--ones that are part of the life of every eco-science program that exists. The managers of AC are simply doing the best they can to make sure the programs there survive into the future.
Speaking as a professional educator, I can only hope that any investigative review prodecure will include the opportunity for scores of educators such as me to testify about the value of the AC programs. I've used the materials repeatedly in my teaching, and I'm certain there are many more like me. In fact, the center will be hosting workshops next month for the Conference for the Advancement of Science Teachers, an event that draws about 6000 science educators from all across Texas. That kind of forum for water issues relevant to all of Texas is priceless, and it would be a shame if the program were curtailed.
In fact, it might not be a great idea to broadcast personal knowlege of "infractions" of the program rules on a board with a broad audience. I know, I know...it happens. But the one time I witnessed it happening, the offending divers were promptly withdrawn and a fairly serious verbal lashing took place. I don't believe the divers were allowed back into the water. What I'm saying is this-- of course the rules need to be enforced, but I'm convinced the lake managers are doing exactly that to the best fo their ability. I don't think anyone at the center "turns the other way" to avoid confrontation. When they see the rules being broken, they act. Rangers and wardens in ALL of the environmentally sensitive areas of the U.S. fight the same battle and for the most part do a good job of it. I'm hoping (and I'm a fairly hopeful guy) the "powers that be" recognize this and react accordingly.
Thanks for your input and for putting up with my two cents worth. In the meantime, let's keep on helping AC in any way we can. I sure plan to.

I just received this from Aquarena

We are also going to add several new ‘Store’ opportunities for 2008:

FOX News Austin is installing an underwater ‘live time’ web cast from the Spring systems at Aquarena. Thanks to Volunteer Diver; Shawn O’Shea..

‘The Landing’ will become the indoor Volunteer Diver Staging area with hot showers, dressing rooms, and rest room facilities. Entries will be made from ‘The Landing’ to the lake from a Diver’s Dock. Imagine five kick cycles from Deep Hole. SPECIAL Thanks to the Volunteer Divers that contributed to make this happen..

‘The Picnic Area’ will become the staging area for Open Water Students. This is a concrete ‘open’ area outside ‘The Landing’ with many picnic tables. Instructors will need to provide their Confirmation Letter and Store’s ‘Shading Pop Up Tent’ or ground cover.

Addition of Night Dives in the training area for your student divers and for your Volunteer Divers there will be night diving research opportunities. The Full Moon Night Dives are incredible...

Introduce our ‘Adopt A Springs’ program…. Host Stores have the opportunity to book special dates to make a Dive Event at Aquarena Center.

We used The Landing this weekend to change in, and the concrete area outside to gear up. Seems like a perfect place to repurpose as a diver's staging area. I'd suggest digging out the entry area...it's a little shallow for diver's doing a giant stride off the dock (we did back rolls) and improving the shallows to the right for exits. If they're going to build a whole new Diver's Dock this may not be necessary.

Wonder when this will be done?:D

Riddle me this: You guys say that a lot of this wouldn't be possible without the volunteer dive staff that help out so much. So why do you keep raising the cost of the cert, turning off many a possible dive volunteer? I figure you should offer the class at a reduced rate for the amount of money you save not having to have commercial divers come in and do all the work. And as for the OW classes out there, well, it's a great way to introduce divers to the Lake, but are they the ones you want sitting in your class a month later? The ones that will most likely not have good buoyancy characteristics, few logged dives, and such.

If you ever get that fixed, well, I have a good amount of divers that would love to participate in the program, but the money is a killer.

[QUOTE=PvilleStang And as for the OW classes out there, well, it's a great way to introduce divers to the Lake, but are they the ones you want sitting in your class a month later? The ones that will most likely not have good buoyancy characteristics, few logged dives, and such.

Note that part of the science diver training course is buoyancy proficiency. If a diver can't demonstrate that they won't be a hazard to the habitat and its species, they are not released to dive the lake outside the training area. And yes, I've seen it happen.

As for the cost, in my opinion it's pretty cheap. $220 (or maybe $240) for a one time fee in order to do volunteer dives in a scientifically sensitive area. Most research and volunteer science diving programs are far more expensive. I've participated in science research "cruises" that cost about $300 for EACH trip, and I like to participate every summer. Sure, we're doing "volunteer" work, but it still costs the host facility/organization to remain in operation. Some of the ones I'm considering are $2000 to $3000 (for two weeks), but they're ocean research (mostly on wrecks).
To put it into perspective, I've looked at it this way. Diving at Clear Springs Scuba Park (near Terrell, Texas, and typical of most scuba parks) costs $20 per day, and divers have to purchase air, which means that a day trip will cost at least $30-40. I'll dive that location three to four times a year. In two years I've exceeded the $220 price tag of the Aquarena course, and I can dive pretty much FREE there and air is included. The fee at Aquarena isn't that great all things considered.

This is a must for any AVID Diver in the central texas area. I live about an hour away and it has been a real joy to dive crystal clear spring water with all the aquatic life. Reminds me of my spring diving in Florida. For a local dive treat in Arid Central Texas it has been an honor for me to participate in the Science Diver program at Aquarena.

Shortly we will be installing an underwater camera out in deep hole, I will send you the info when we firm up the install date underwater.

It will be on www.myfoxaustin.com website for Austin's FOX 7 television station. Pretty cool launch of this underwater camera project.

As I said, if you have the passion to blow bubbles, and want to dive locally this is one of the best spots around to dive periodically. I am glad I got certified to volunteer and do my part to help the enviornment.

I have dove about 20 times and that makes my current cost to dive about $12 a dive, and each time I go that number is reduced even more. The price is not the issue. Do you have the time to participate and enjoy spring lake?

Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

email shawntv@austin.rr.com

cell phone 512-968-8278

This is a must for any AVID Diver in the central texas area. I live about an hour away and it has been a real joy to dive crystal clear spring water with all the aquatic life. Reminds me of my spring diving in Florida. For a local dive treat in Arid Central Texas it has been an honor for me to participate in the Science Diver program at Aquarena.

Shortly we will be installing an underwater camera out in deep hole, I will send you the info when we firm up the install date underwater.

It will be on www.myfoxaustin.com website for Austin's FOX 7 television station. Pretty cool launch of this underwater camera project.

As I said, if you have the passion to blow bubbles, and want to dive locally this is one of the best spots around to dive periodically. I am glad I got certified to volunteer and do my part to help the enviornment.

I have dove about 20 times and that makes my current cost to dive about $12 a dive, and each time I go that number is reduced even more. The price is not the issue. Do you have the time to participate and enjoy spring lake?

Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

email shawntv@austin.rr.com

cell phone 512-968-8278

Shawn--

I'm excited about the underwater cam. To get a live glimpse of Aquarena while I'm sitting at my desk 3-1/2 hours away will be a treat.

Thanks for helping to make this possible :)

Need any (amateur) assistance in putting in the system? I know next to nothing about the technology, but I can certainly float cable, run a ratchet, and move stuff around. Just let us know what you need!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom