Aquarena Springs question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scientific Diver Authorization Course: Weekly - Two days: Saturday & Sunday. This two day course focuses on The Edwards Aquifer, the Habitat, Endangered Species, Archaeology, State & Federal Regulations governing Spring Lake and advanced diving techniques to ensure protection of this critical habitat.

Requirements
All participants will be required to provide the following:
C-Card
All personal SCUBA equipment including tank
Wetsuit appropriate for 70F
Weight belt & weights
Dive Light
Towels
Notebook, pens & pencils
Slate
Compass

Course Schedule
Saturday - 8am-10pm
Classroom
8am-12 Noon

LUNCH 12:30-2pm

In-water Drills
2:00pm-5pm
Evening Dive
5:00pm - 7:30pm

Sunday - 8am-11am
Morning Dive
Evaluation & Course
Wrap-up

For More Information
e-mail:

divingforscience@txstate.edu

Hope that helps.

I stopped by LDS. The owner said they are expanding the course offering. After you are certified as diving for science ($220.00) the next level is underwater photography ($220.00). On to underwater naturalist ($220.00) and finally underwater archeology ($220.00). She had nothing but positive feed back from everyone there.

It was a great course, and it is a great place to dive. If I lived closer, I would be a regular volunteer. Due to the fact that it is the natural habitat of 5 endangered species and is also the home of artifacts dating back at least 12000 years, recreational diving is prohibited. If you go through the course, then you can come back and help with maintenance or research. I think the course is actually put on by Southwest Texas State University.

What I (and others) are becoming concerned with is the recent deluge of open water classes. I had heard that was supposed to have much better regulated and ratcheted WAY back, but every time I pop down there it's like a public pool.

What'll happen is that one of the relevant government agency reps will come by for a visit during one such day, have a *heart attack with what they're seeing*, and petition for a full diving program review. The fine distinction between science diving in Spring Lake and OW checkout dives in the training area will fall by the wayside. As it should be. Bye bye volunteer diving .:(

The scientific diving program itself is first rate and extremely useful. I would not like its future to be jeopardized for something not even directly linked to it. 'Course I haven't been there since May:11:, so hopefully things have turned around.

What I (and others) are becoming concerned with is the recent deluge of open water classes. I had heard that was supposed to have much better regulated and ratcheted WAY back, but every time I pop down there it's like a public pool.

What'll happen is that one of the relevant government agency reps will come by for a visit during one such day, have a *heart attack with what they're seeing*, and petition for a full diving program review. The fine distinction between science diving in Spring Lake and OW checkout dives in the training area will fall by the wayside. As it should be. Bye bye volunteer diving .:(

The scientific diving program itself is first rate and extremely useful. I would not like its future to be jeopardized for something not even directly linked to it. 'Course I haven't been there since May:11:, so hopefully things have turned around.

This is EXACTLY the feeling I had. Thank you, archman.

I understand everyone's concern, but here are some points to ponder:

First, the OW courses are limited strictly to the "arena" portion of the lake, i.e. the portion that was originally disturbed by the building of the "submarine" and performance areas. Students and trainees are not allowed in the main channel. In fact, ANYONE going past the pipe better have on a yellow jumpsuit.

Second, the training dives are becoming more necessary simply for fiscal reasons. I know this sounds like they're caving in to financial pressures, but the simple fact is that althogh the university is in charge of the operation at Aquarena, it doesn't come anywhere close to supporting it financially. Compromises have to be made, and as long as they don't jeopardize the health of the ecosystem, it might have to be tolerated.

Finally, the "relevant government reps" don't have to come by to pay a visit...they are already there. The government offices occupy what used to be the old hotel at the end of the lake. Believe me, they know what is going on and if they didn't sanction it, the process would stop immediately. Instead, the plans to go forward with new and expanded diving facilities are moving along, complete with the necessary permits and inspections.

That means, quite simply, that we volunteers might have to simply accept the situation and be content to do our volunteer tasks where and when we are permitted.

Taking students to the training area is one of the BEST ways we have of introducing new divers to spring lake. many of them go on to the scientific diver class as a direct result of this exposure. That is why the folks at Aquarena started this program to begin with.

Lets not be greedy with this wonderfull dive location.

From my standpoint, I think alot more of the burden needs to fall on the instructors who take Open Water students to Aquarena. Most instructor (until recently) had not even gone through the science diving course and were not presenting the environment in that light. Don't get me wrong, some were but a large majority were not. I know now, each instructor is supposed to have gone through the science diver course themselves which is a great idea.

I do think there are too many open water classes going through there at the same time. I understand this is for financial reasons but there has to be limits. Personally, I have never understood how Aquarena meets standards of 20 ft for most agencies. In the arena, you cannot get 20 ft. I really think it is a disservice to the students to take them there for their open water cert. They need to get more depth to really understand what is going on. I also don't think there is enough room to really move around.

anyway, just my 2 cents.

You have an uncanny insight as to how beaurocrats think.

First, the OW courses are limited strictly to the "arena" portion of the lake, i.e. the portion that was originally disturbed by the building of the "submarine" and performance areas. Students and trainees are not allowed in the main channel. In fact, ANYONE going past the pipe better have on a yellow jumpsuit.
The problem here is that the training area is not a closed system, and non-Aquarena divers can and do *wander* outside of it periodically. I've seen it on three separate occasions myself. That's plenty reason for a government rep to shut down the program.

Second, the training dives are becoming more necessary simply for fiscal reasons. I know this sounds like they're caving in to financial pressures, but the simple fact is that althogh the university is in charge of the operation at Aquarena, it doesn't come anywhere close to supporting it financially. Compromises have to be made, and as long as they don't jeopardize the health of the ecosystem, it might have to be tolerated.
This is the only argument that makes (some) sense. Unfortunately, it only does so for Aquarena. The government is generally not sympathetic. If an agency decides that environmental or antiquity regulations are being affected even by a twinge, they often have the authority to close off all access. This is particularly true for anything falling under the Endangered Species Act.

The amount of funding that the University dedicates to Aquarena is appalling and embarrassing for a school of its size. The state and federal government also demonstrates rather lackluster monetary support. Fortunately there is a plan in place to improve this... whether or no the diving programs continue is certainly a point of debate. In the long-term, I certainly see the non-volunteer diving in the lake getting the axe. It has no significant justification to a site where justification is most emphatically the central issue.

Finally, the "relevant government reps" don't have to come by to pay a visit...they are already there. The government offices occupy what used to be the old hotel at the end of the lake. Believe me, they know what is going on and if they didn't sanction it, the process would stop immediately. Instead, the plans to go forward with new and expanded diving facilities are moving along, complete with the necessary permits and inspections.
Sure, the local government reps are there. :wink:They're typically not the ones that actually make the big decisions, mind you. Think of them more as *caretakers* or *analysts*. The general mindset of a local government staffer is to not rock the boat, not attract attention to yourself, and certainly not to do extra work (they'll just add it permanently to your load). It is often a thankless, monotonous employment. It breeds an environment where nobody wants to complain or critique officially, however justified they feel personally.

As such, when glaring problems are *officially* discovered at government-regulated sites, it is often a longstanding issue that the local personnel have been well aware of and either chose to ignore or couldn't previously do anything about. This is VERY common in wildlife and environmental management. And (not pointing fingers), true at Aquarena as well.

Bearing this in mind, here are possible (and highly plausible) regulatory oversight scenarios that could at some (recent) point occur at Aquarena, and place use of the Lake by the public under suspension or full review.

1. Newly appointed management official (local level).
2. Newly appointed management official (regional/state level).
3. Newly appointed senior management official (inter-state federal).
4. Political changeover (any level of government).
5. Heightened government interest in Aquarena.
6. Heightened government interest over enforcement of specific, existing regulations.
7. Re-interpretation and re-classification of specific, existing regulations.
8. New regulations.
9. Comprehensive, on-site review by governmental regional or national inspection team.
10. Comprehensive, on-site review by independent inspection group (eg. academic, NGO).

What many Texans fail to realize is that our own environmental regulations rather suck compared nationally, and so have nowhere to go but UP.:D And they are. Aquarena, conversely, appears to be going the opposite way with the dramatically upped recreational classes. That policy is going to bite them in the butt, and possibly all us volunteer eco-divers, as well.

What also has to be taken into account is that the national political climate is enjoying a long "reprieve" from most environmental enforcement and regulation. Most of the public is completely oblivious as to how scaled back our enforcement of existing rules is right now. It's REALLY, REALLY scaled back from several years ago. This will change soon, and it's NOT going to be pretty. :14:

The government, private, and public sectors should prepare for this as best they can. At the minimum, expect reinstatements of pre-2000 oversight and enforcement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom