AquaCat vs. Little Cayman in March--Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ScubaBoarders,

It's time to plan our spring break dive trip next March and my husband and I have narrowed things down (*I think*) to either doing the Aquacat liveaboard in the Bahamas or Little Cayman (probably with Little Cayman Beach Resort, but would consider other lodging/operators). Both would be new locations for us.

We've dived off Nassau, which seemed overfished, but I've heard the Exumas are much better. We've also dived Grand Cayman, which was very good, but not as amazing as some spots we've been. It sounds like Little Cayman is even better, however. The Cayman Aggressor is NOT an option for the week we have free--they've got a group booking week, so we can't do that liveaboard.

Because it's March, I worry a bit about the weather. The Bahamas are further north, but I suspect the liveaboard could find sheltered spots more easily. On the other hand, if things get too windy, at least on the island one could beach comb, hike, etc. LC is a bit further south, but also a bit more difficult to get to.

The cost of the two trips would be ~equal, so that's not a factor.

Any opinions or insights about either place, especially at this time of year, would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Potato Cod

You're going to do both sooner or later, they are both good choices. You have good info and research.

I wouldn't fret too much over weather at that time of year.

Pick one, plan on the other.

If you are worried about weather, why don't you try the Juliet, which is based out of the Turks & Caicos islands during the winter? Providenciales is the Airport, and although it's a bit further to fly than Nassau, it's not much different pricewise, I think. The weather is considerably nicer down there during the winter, which is why they move the boat down there for the cold months from it's usual summer mooring in Miami. The boat is more cramped than the Aquacat, for sure, but it's really not bad and is a damn sight better than those sailing tents that Blackbeard runs on the cheap. It actually has rather nice cabins, and is a really neat operation. See it on sailjuliet.com. It's considerably cheaper also, as I recall. I have several pictures of the boat in my gallery, I think. Just an idea...

Last edited:
Roatanman, you are a wise one. You're right, we'll most certainly end up doing both eventually, so I guess we'll go with the one that's easier to get to at this time (AquaCat).

Woodman, that would be a cool option, but we have dived the T&CI twice already (although French Key just might be the happiest place on earth) and, more importantly, the Juliet will be based in Miami the week we have available.

Okay, off to read a few more reviews/trip reports from the AquaCat and then throw down our deposit. Cheers!

Which did you choose? Both are great. I have a slight preference for Little Cayman over Aquacat (because I hated getting into a 5 mm)

We went with the Aquacat. It was easier to get to and we have a limited amount travel time, so this option worked best for this trip. Looking forward to it!

I'm actually lucky enough to do both next year. We chartered the entire AC for the 4th of July week and it's now full. We are also going to Little Cayman at the end of October if anyone wants to join us. The price is great because we all share in the free spots so we end up with about a 10% discount.

Back
Top Bottom