Trip Report LCBR April 2023, Short Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We just got back from a week of diving Little Cayman Beach Resort after a 3 year hiatus.
There are numerous reports on this board so mine will just deal with what I observed as changes.

Travel; From GC to LC was smooth with no changes in the Cayman Airways schedule from the time of booking. Apparently, both Otters are now back in services and booking a flight was no problem. Going through Customs on GC is now quicker as there are kiosks set up so you can do your declaration electronically and then breeze past the agent. It took about 15 minutes all in.

LCBR physically is much the same apart from a new pool deck and a much expanded deck around the bar. The bathtub in our room looked newish and the bed was also newish and very comfortable. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating.

Meals; Breakfast was same as always with bacon, eggs, oatmeal, potatoes all prepared, as well as omelets, pancakes and waffles on order. The fresh fruit was fresh and the coffee quality IMO has improved. Coffee is now available from 6 am.
Lunches are good and some of the memorable offerings were fish tacos, fried shrimps, burgers and fries and all sorts of salads. There is also a sandwich option if nothing else appeals.
Dinners were meh, in my opinion. There were always lots of options but everything was dried out and or way over spiced. That is one of the problems with buffets but not as good as I had at Brac Reef in December. The deserts, on the other hand, are still great.
Diving: no major changes from the old routine except the orientation is now a video. The boats are in good condition and well stocked with fresh, cold water and snacks for between dives. The DMs are all new but are outstanding in every way.
Bloody Bay and Jackson's are free of Stony Coral Disease so far and remain lush and very fishy. There seemed to be more reef sharks than I recall from previous trips and at least one was spotted on most dives. It is currently Loggerhead nesting season and I saw at least one loggerhead per day.

Overall, a great week of diving. Will be heading back as soon as I can.

Attachments

• _4270224.jpeg
    _4270224.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 62
  • _4290365.JPG
    _4290365.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 64
  • _4250116.JPG
    _4250116.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 64
  • _4280334.JPG
    _4280334.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 65
Good to hear you had a fine trip; they have a very good reputation.

Bloody Bay and Jackson's are free of Stony Coral Disease so far
With SCTLD hitting Bonaire and Curacao, in addition to so many other places, I wonder at what point the lack of it (so far, as you note) will become a big selling point for Caribbean dive destinations?

@Doctorfish Thanks for the quick review. I had to push my trip back a few weeks (I was supposed to be there last week), but now I'm headed there at the end of next week. I seem to remember them posting at some point during covid saying they were doing some small renovations...the new beds will be welcomed for sure.

How was the water temp for the week?

Thanks, that is what we planned on packing :)

Two Otters is fantastic news. Going back in June 24. Let’s hope that it stays that way.

We ran into a slight issue on 5/13, CA moved us to an earlier flight at the counter...then they had issues with one of the otters so we got delayed 4-5hrs. Wasn't a big deal for us, originally scheduled at 9:35am and I think we took off around 2pm. They ended up canceling the flight and moving us to another flight around 12pm.

They only mentioned that the plane had issues while in Brac, no clue if it was back in service on the way back this weekend...wasn't an issue.

We ran into a slight issue on 5/13, CA moved us to an earlier flight at the counter...then they had issues with one of the otters so we got delayed 4-5hrs. Wasn't a big deal for us, originally scheduled at 9:35am and I think we took off around 2pm. They ended up canceling the flight and moving us to another flight around 12pm.

They only mentioned that the plane had issues while in Brac, no clue if it was back in service on the way back this weekend...wasn't an issue.

Oh boy…here we go again.

Reactions: mbs
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom