Trip Report Little Cayman Beach Resort - LCBR (Aug 2023)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RGDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Was at LCBR last week for the first time so I figured I'd write a brief review of my experience there. I know this resort has been extensively reviewed both on this site and elsewhere. First off there seems to be an ongoing issue at LCBR with power supply and the power plant on the island. There was no Nitrox there last week when I was there and we were told it had to do with the Nitrox compressor being down. Later I heard via some scuttlebutt that it had to do with the resort being limited with its power supply during the summer because of the AC power usage etc. Not sure what to believe but most members of our travel group were expecting Nitrox and were disappointed not to have it. The set up at LCBR is ideal for divers. We had two tank dives each morning and one in the afternoon off the Newtons. The valet diving service which involves the dive masters bringing you your gear to a rear bench seat for setup was great. Overall the dive operation was excellent with good pre-dive briefings, guided dives and great sites. We had decent viz with little current most days and the wall diving in Little Cayman is awesome. Reefs are healthy and void of diseases, fish were a bit more sparse than I would have anticipated. I only saw 3 turtles the entire week and 2 sharks, grouper were plentiful. Water temp was around 89 at the surface and 87 at 100'...I was surprised at how warm the water was at depth. I would give the dive operation 5 stars for service and professionalism. The resort itself is nice, the rooms are basic and clean similar to a holiday inn type room; I feel they are a bit worn and could use some updating but overall are nice. The AC unit in my room worked well and the bed was comfortable. Water pressure in the showers is low but I got used to it after a couple days. The buffet food for breakfast, lunch and dinner was decent but not great and was a bit inconsistent day to day as far as quality. I found the breakfast and lunch meals much better than the dinners. Desserts were very good overall. The resort staff were very friendly and professional. Karaoke night on Friday was fun but the bar area became overrun with locals. The bartenders were very good and made great drinks. When we arrived on Saturday the pool area was jammed with kids, I think the resort lets the local kids use the pool on Saturdays. Overall the trip was great, the resort was nice and the staff both at the resort and with Reef Divers were very good. I do think I would return. My only gripes would be the lack of Nitrox (apparently an ongoing summer power problem) and I do think the food could be a lot better. On a related note: Cayman Airways seems to be a disorganized airline although they did manage to correct some luggage issues we caught when departing. I would suggest anyone traveling with them to keep an eye on what they are doing with your luggage.

Thank you for posting this review! I’ve been looking at Little Cayman after a recent trip to Cayman Brac which I really enjoyed. That nitrox situation is disappointing at best, and likely a deal-breaker for some.

Hi @RGDiver

What were your dive times without nitrox? First dives often start relatively deep on the wall. Were dives adjusted shallower to compensate for no nitrox?

I would be disappointed to show up and have no nitrox available.

Hi @RGDiver

What were your dive times without nitrox? First dives often start relatively deep on the wall. Were dives adjusted shallower to compensate for no nitrox?

I would be disappointed to show up and have no nitrox available.
I don't think there were adjustments made for the dive times because of lack of Nitrox. Naturally the first dive of the day was max 110' and most were done in 45mins, the follow on dives were 60' max with 60 mins allowed. The DMs wanted everyone back in the allotted time regardless of if you went with the group or not. Oddly I did not feel fatigued from not using the Nitrox though I probably would have felt better as the week went on with it. More than anything I was surprised that it was not available and that there is some issue with the power plant on the island. The excellent diving and service made up for the issue.

I rather like LCBR and have been a frequent flier there. The dive op is first rate with big, modern, clean boats, valet service, personalized attention and good snacks on board. Over the years I have had a few equipment failures on board and they always seemed to have spare regs, computers, hoses etc. aboard to allow anyone with an unexpected issue to enjoy their day. I find the DMs to be very professional and protective of the reefs without being prescriptive. My experience with the dive schedule has been 60, 60, 60. The only time pressure I have experienced is for the boat to be back for lunch. The DMs will allow for buddy pairs to do their own thing with the only constraint that you be back in time and stay in NDLs. If you act like an idiot, you will be put back on a leash The lack of Nitrox, to me is a minor inconvenience. It just means diving a bit shallower.

I agree with the OP that the food is just OK, not gourmet fare. Meals are buffet with all that that implies. I am not being an apologist for them but it is important to consider that LC is in the middle of nowhere with no fresh food. I think they do pretty well for the conditions. At breakfast, there is an egg/omelet/waffle station and they will quickly whip up to order. Best meal of the day.

Overall, I find LCBR and Brac Beach resort to be very good quality for value. Not as posh as Southern Cross, but significantly less expensive.

Over the years I’ve enjoyed LCBR. Not having nitrox is unfortunate as I enjoy the deeper wall dives there. The high viz and relatively shallow tops makes for a lot of life on the walls at depth. No issue moderating depths/times as needed, but I try to be first off & last on (60/70 min dives). With nitrox I can pretty much dive how I want while staying within my NDL “comfort zone” without having to worry too much about it. Bloody Bay marine park is a gem in the Caribbean. 😊

Several years ago, as the Cayman Air plane lifted off, we flew over the . . . err . . . terminal, and saw our dives bags sitting by themselves on the apron. We spend a couple of days on Grand just in case, and our bags showed up in due course. Little Cayman is a jewel indeed.

Thanks for posting. In the process of booking a LC trip but staying at SCC. The required sat to sat at LCBR was a deal breaker.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with checked bags LC to GC. In fact, you can watch them being wheeled out and loaded on the plane. GC to LC is a different story. I always carry on my mask, reg, and a bathing suit to the plane just in case.

Thanks for posting. In the process of booking a LC trip but staying at SCC. The required sat to sat at LCBR was a deal breaker.
I feel like a broken record posting this, but I keep seeing people reference it here. You don't have to do Sat-Sat to LCBR. They prefer it, and their special packages all say something to that effect. But if you let them know you can't get the flights you need to make the connection from GC to LC on the saturday of the week you want to go, they will let you do fri-fri or sun-sun as long as they have space available. The United flight from Houston to GC in the fall usually gets in too late to catch anything but the last afternoon GC-LC flight on Saturday, which is always the first to fill up. We have had no problem on our last few trips getting fri-fri or sun-sun approved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom