Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I experienced the "surfacing" issue last week. I had my Perdix as my primary, but was discouraged to have the Apple Watch not record a dive. I emailed Huish support and they responded very quickly and said it was a known issue and they were working on an update. Good to get a quick response and know they are working to fix the issue.
Interesting. I've sent two email messages to Hush outlining the issues I observed but have never received a reply from them.

Yes, so long as the app exposes themselves to [per-app notification settings], Oceanic+ does not and has none of the typical notification controls.

i just installed & activated Oceanic+ … indeed, no per-app settings. This is unusual, but understandable, as you said.

Still, the watch has global on/off for sound & haptics. I assume that these would affect Oceanic+ notifications as well. Can”t test it though.

I didn’t realize that Oceanic+ has a USD 99¢ trial mode for one day, but I signed up - just so I could poke around in the scuba features. Apparently the one-day payment activates with your first actual dive day, but in the meantime, you have full access to the scuba interface. It’s a good option for Apple Watch Ultra owners who want to ”kick the tires” a bit, even if they don’t have an opportunity to try it in the water yet.

I paid for the $.99 day thing to do the same, wanted to see how the dive planner worked and whatnot. The cool thing is a month later I did a pool day and I got credit, it recoded the day to the logbook. minor but appreciated.

Did you use an online synonym generator for "cromulent"?
No, it’s been in my vocabulary for many, many years. I guess it requires specific cultural exposure for anyone to have run into it. :)

I can’t say I’m too surpsied. It feels like they’re not set up for the level of customer support needed for suddenly having exclusive access to Apple hardware, which is a pretty rare unicorn indeed. Some of the responses (or complete lack of) from them are contradictory and responses to reviews on the App Store either suggest that this is the best we can expect or are close to combative in tone. Hope I’m wrong as I’m a while off joining the Shearwater club.

I can’t say I’m too surpsied. It feels like they’re not set up for the level of customer support needed for suddenly having exclusive access to Apple hardware, which is a pretty rare unicorn indeed. Some of the responses (or complete lack of) from them are contradictory and responses to reviews on the App Store either suggest that this is the best we can expect or are close to combative in tone. Hope I’m wrong as I’m a while off joining the Shearwater club.
I'm sure they were under great pressure to release their app as soon as possible after the release of the watch. I think that every issue I experienced or read about could have been revealed to them with widespread beta testing. Did they not consider that some people might dive where there is no cell phone coverage? Did they not test the accuracy of Apple Maps? There's really no excuse for showing that a 25 meter dive took place on dry land.

I was not expecting a quick reply, so was pleasantly surprised. I completely expected the software to need tweaking and would not use or recommend it to be used as a primary dive computer. Hopefully they incorporate updates quickly.

No, it’s been in my vocabulary for many, many years. I guess it requires specific cultural exposure for anyone to have run into it. :)
How many years? It was invented in a Simpson's episode in 1996. Never existed before that. I suppose that specific cultural exposure means knowing Bart and Lisa. I defer to you on that, sir!

For anyone interested in this trivial matter: Merriam Webster - There are plenty of TV catchphrases that have seeped into our lexical consciousness, but none of them has been as sly as cromulent.

Cromulent first appeared in the February 18, 1996 episode of The Simpsons called "Lisa the Iconoclast," in what could be considered a throw-away line given during the opening credits. The schoolchildren of Springfield are watching a film about the founding father of Springfield, Jebediah Springfield. The film ends with Jebediah intoning, “A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.” One teacher at the back of the room leans over to another and says that she’d never heard the word embiggen before she moved to Springfield. “I don't know why,” the other teacher replies. “It's a perfectly cromulent word.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom