Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the review and details of oddities. I'm also planning on diving with the watch in April with an old Mares puck as backup. This particular oddity seems really annoying. I was just reading Oceanic's FAQs and they claim that's not what the behavior should be... I wonder if it was something they fixed recently?:

Once you reach three feet from the surface, Oceanic+ will show you a prompt asking if you are finished with your dive and the app will automatically begin a 3-minute countdown. You can press the action button to end the dive which activates surface mode. Or if you are not done diving, you can begin a descent and the app will switch back to dive mode.​

Perhaps they have fixed that oddity in a recent release. It didn't behave that way when I dove with it. There was no prompt on reaching the surface. One good thing about the app is that you can make the prompts difficult to miss with the flashing screen, sound and hepatics. If there was a "nearing the surface" prompt, I wouldn't have missed it.

One good thing about the app is that you can make the prompts difficult to miss with the flashing screen, sound and hepatics.
How do you do that? I see no options for customising notifications.
It didn't behave that way when I dove with it.
Me either, never seen that and have dived it since first release. I queried the surfacing behaviour with Oceanic (and requested they provide an option for the user to select a surface time variable that would allow for this) and they replied confirming that the dive ends when you hit 1m/3ft and no comment about my excellent feature request!

I was mistaken. I thought for sure I'd been able to toggle sounds and hepatics, but I guess not.

Sorry.

I experienced the "surfacing" issue last week. I had my Perdix as my primary, but was discouraged to have the Apple Watch not record a dive. I emailed Huish support and they responded very quickly and said it was a known issue and they were working on an update. Good to get a quick response and know they are working to fix the issue.

I saw this Oceanic+ SPG / watch mount console on my LDS' website. Not seeing it referenced on oceanic's website though. Anyone know anything about this?

Why would anyone want to do that to their Apple Watch, if they were diving with one...? I mean, I understand the concept of a console and that there are people who prefer them, but when the thing you're putting in the console is a perfectly cromulent wrist device ...?

I was mistaken. I thought for sure I'd been able to toggle sounds and hepatics, but I guess not.

Apple Watches have centralized toggles for sound, haptics, and notifications on a per-app basis. so it’s possible that sounds and haptics were toggled off outside of the dive app. Also, I’m not sure about interactions between global settings and in-app settings for this.

Apple gives the watch very granular controls for alerts, and it probably just takes some trouble-shooting. Given that prominent alerts are a marquee feature for the dive app, this should be a manageable issue.

Attachments

• 976FBE46-84FC-4175-A602-A51F3FEBD6D3.jpeg
    976FBE46-84FC-4175-A602-A51F3FEBD6D3.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 40
on a per-app basis
Yes, so long as the app exposes themselves to this, Oceanic+ does not and has none of the typical notification controls. This is probably a good thing as turning off notifications would not be a good experience. It would nice, however, to customise screen flashing, haptic prominence and other variables like setting safety stop time (currently three minutes set in stone).

Why would anyone want to do that to their Apple Watch, if they were diving with one...? I mean, I understand the concept of a console and that there are people who prefer them, but when the thing you're putting in the console is a perfectly cromulent wrist device ...?
Did you use an online synonym generator for "cromulent"? I assure you that not many native English speakers on the board are familiar with that word. I had to to look it up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom