Apparently I'm an unusual size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been scouting around for a wetsuit (3mm or perhaps a 5/4/3 combo). Since a trip to our LDS that have a decent selection of wetsuits is a pretty far trek, I've been trying to do some research on appropriate sizing for common brands. Unfortunately even though each manufacturer has a pretty extensive set of sizes, at least one measurement is really far out of whack.
My specs:
5'11"
150-155#
Chest 38"
waist 32"
So I'm either over height or or too bird-chested or too thin for just about any official size range (sometimes more than one). When I got my OW certification,the LDS tried me in a ScubaPro L that was just too small. I ended up going with something that was an XL rented from the dive shop at the check out location (forgot the brand).

Any similar-sized fellows find a good make/model/size they would recommend? Is there any typical measure that one can often overlook? It will definitely help to know this before I start calling shops that could have something in range.

Many thanks,
Amw 5G

I ended going to my LDS and trying on tons of tops and bottoms from their selection of two-piece rentals. I bought a used Bare top and used Pinnacle bottom.

Thanks, I hadn't considered pieces instead of a jumpsuit. My Local-est of DSs does not stock wetsuits. They will, however, gladly order one or let you try on their slim stock of used suits. Not a knock on them- carrying inventory is expensive- it just makes it hard for someone who doesn't have a specific need in mind.

You fit a med/tall from Bare. Check their website out. I am not promoting/selling on this forum. But I have moved many of these and their sizing is right on. Make sure the suit fits your measurments, then worry about weight afterwards. PM me if you have anymore uqestions. Go to a one piece suit, you will be very happy.

Been scouting around for a wetsuit (3mm or perhaps a 5/4/3 combo). Since a trip to our LDS that have a decent selection of wetsuits is a pretty far trek, I've been trying to do some research on appropriate sizing for common brands. Unfortunately even though each manufacturer has a pretty extensive set of sizes, at least one measurement is really far out of whack.
My specs:
5'11"
150-155#
Chest 38"
waist 32"
So I'm either over height or or too bird-chested or too thin for just about any official size range (sometimes more than one). When I got my OW certification,the LDS tried me in a ScubaPro L that was just too small. I ended up going with something that was an XL rented from the dive shop at the check out location (forgot the brand).

Any similar-sized fellows find a good make/model/size they would recommend? Is there any typical measure that one can often overlook? It will definitely help to know this before I start calling shops that could have something in range.

Many thanks,
Amw 5G

You can't really/always go by published size charts. I've found that I fit into brands/models that on paper "don't fit" but in actuality fit just fine. I'm a touch taller than you and a few lbs heavier (6'2" and 170) but have had luck with several manufacturers who make a M/L size (Xcel) as well as those that offer a "M-Tall" such as Bare.

Yes, you really need to be getting into suits. Wetsuit roulette is no fun.

Bare has one of the broadest size ranges so they are worth checking. The trick may be that few shops stock the transitional sizes.

Measurements do not tell the story. For instance I am a perfect Bare XLS. However I happen to be long in the torso/short legged and despite matching every number they show it's a hopeless misfit on me. The important dimension that few use is the girth or torso length. That is over the shoulder and through the crotch. That number ensures that a full suit makes sense on your body. You can measure yourself and do the same to a suit before ever stepping into it.

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks all, very helpful. I'll definitely be putting stores with Bare and those that carry the off-standard sizes on my shortlist.
Best,
Amw 5G

My specs:
5'11"
150-155#
Chest 38"
waist 32"

Many thanks,
Amw 5G

Since you seem to be using XL and L sizes, I'm going to assume it's the length of your arms and legs that are the problem. If this is the case, I suggest you try a Bare medium tall suit. Should be perfect given your other dimensions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom