Apollo Bio Filter ... any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDB... so why is this thing so high for what it does? $150 bucks... like I said... **Ouch**

mike_s: I know it is a bit trite to use the old: "You get what you pay for." It is true that having a precisely machined bio-filter, using the best quality materials and design is not cheap. Thousands of divers who use the bio-filter have given us lots of very positive feedback. The bio-filter works, it delivers clean and re humidified air. For me, on a live aboard, or even a 3 day trip off the Channel Islands, it sure seems worth it in comfort and safety.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter

mike_s: I know it is a bit trite to use the old: "You get what you pay for." It is true that having a precisely machined bio-filter, using the best quality materials and design is not cheap. Thousands of divers who use the bio-filter have given us lots of very positive feedback. The bio-filter works, it delivers clean and re humidified air. For me, on a live aboard, or even a 3 day trip off the Channel Islands, it sure seems worth it in comfort and safety.

mdb, i too don't understand the cost - not saying it's too high, just that i don't understand why it's so high.

i thought the bio-filter was basically a wet sponge in a waterproof casing connecting the 1st stage and LP reg hose so that as gas goes through it some moisture is picked up, no? Something like that would not be so difficult or expensive to make, right?

i'm just curious if something complex is required to make the process work and if that's what's pushing the price up? i mean if these humidifiers were cheaper then you'd sell more of them and consequently more of the refill filters.

as for the filter functions I personally wouldn't need that as I trust the gas in my tanks is clean enough, so how much cheaper would it be to just produce a humidifier without the filtration function?

-------as f.or the filter functions I personally wouldn't need that as I trust the gas in my tanks is clean enough, so how much cheaper would it be to just produce a humidifier without the filtration function?

The activated charcoal filter represents $9.00 of the overall cost.

For me, on a live aboard, or even a 3 day trip off the Channel Islands, it sure seems worth it in comfort and safety.

I will admit that on a recent liveaboard doing 5 dives a day on very dry air, something like this did cross my mind. got a good case of dry-throat that got very sensitive for a few days.

mdb, i too don't understand the cost - not saying it's too high, just that i don't understand why it's so high.

i thought the bio-filter was basically a wet sponge in a waterproof casing connecting the 1st stage and LP reg hose so that as gas goes through it some moisture is picked up, no? Something like that would not be so difficult or expensive to make, right?

[snip]

yeah... me too...

I've been thinking a bit about this bio filter. If I understand correctly it moisturizes the air and also filters the air (removing crap from a dirty tank)
- Can someone tell me how often the filters, wet spongy thing, etc etc, need to be replaced?

and will it fit all brands of 1st stages? I have an apex...

cheers

The Apollo bio-filter will fit most current model regulators including the Apex
brand. The moisturizing wick should be replaced if it becomes discolored, properly maintained it should last for years. The activated charcoal filter should be replaced if you can see traces of oil, aluminum oxide, etc. otherwise on an annual basis should be fine.

Reading your comments, and also reading them on another website that sells them, I haven't seen any concerns regarding whether or not it can cause any harm to our 2nd stage with the extra humidity? thanks for the feedback!

Hi BKP. I also dive the Atomic B2, and currently always use it in conjunction with a full Bio Filter configuration. It's a great setup, and does an awesome job of reducing dry-air effects, and improves comfort. I personally feel that it helps offset the potential for DCS symptoms as well. It has accompanied me on many dive adventures, and has never given me any problems. If it did ever break, I'd definitely buy another one.

The complete system is comprised of 2 main functional sections. The first stage connection supports the filter and wick housings via a shock absorber that allows the entire system to pivot with the movement of the hose, and actually aids reg ergonomics. This part also holds a small replaceable activated charcoal filter element to keep things clean. The second section houses a hollow pre-fill wick pad and tube that the passing air draws moisture from as it flows unobstructed through a central bypass. I have found virtually no difference in inhalation effort while using the device.

Excellent performance aside, I would say it's major drawback is probably the fact that it is a little pricey. However, given the ROI that I have gotten from the unit, I would say that it's money well spent.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom