Apollo Bio Filter ... any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dry mouth is always a problem with me, whether I dive air or nitrox. Has anyone had any experience with the Apollo Bio Filter? I've heard it re-humidifies your intake, and there seems to be varied opinions on how much it might restrict air flow, if at all (I use an Atomic B2 because of that nice easy pull, and would hate to compromise it).

Soooo... any opinions from actual or ex-users would be welcome.

BKP:
Dry mouth is always a problem with me, whether I dive air or nitrox. Has anyone had any experience with the Apollo Bio Filter? I've heard it re-humidifies your intake, and there seems to be varied opinions on how much it might restrict air flow, if at all (I use an Atomic B2 because of that nice easy pull, and would hate to compromise it).

Soooo... any opinions from actual or ex-users would be welcome.

Hi BKP. I have never personally used a Bio-Filter, but I have sold quite a few of them. Everyone who uses it says it helps a great deal. The filter cannot restrict air flow. The filter is not in the PATH of the air, but instead surrounds a tube that has small holes to allow the moisture to enter the air flow path. It is amazing that I have never sold one of these to a customer that returned it because they didn't like it. Sounds like the real deal to me. You can use this link if you are interested in one at a pretty good price. Thanks.

Apollo Bio-Filter

Phil Ellis

BKP, I would love to hear what you think if you end up getting one. I have been tempted for when we go to Bonaire and are diving 3-5 times/day--but it is not really adding that much moisture per dive to the air so not sure the ROI is worth it.

Have one; wouldn't dive without it. Really makes a big difference. Have an Atomic M1, don't notice any load on breathing compared to my ScubaPro MK25T (on my pony, but doesn't have the Bio moisturizer). Mark

I've been thinking about getting one of these.

I was on a liveaboard last month that we were doing up to 5 dives a day on very dry air. It caused a very dry mouth and throat and with all that diving, it would have been very nice.

however, at $150 bucks each.... **ouch**. Why does Apollo charge so much for something that's essentially a wet-wick tube?

Does it put any extra strain on the first stage? Since it is not flexible like a hose, I just wonder if it could cause any damage to the first stage port threads.

Paco II:
Does it put any extra strain on the first stage? Since it is not flexible like a hose, I just wonder if it could cause any damage to the first stage port threads.

Paco 11: The bio-filter will not put any extra strain on your first stage.

Bio-filters have shock absorbing bumpers and are easy to fit to most regulators. The very dry tank- 0.01% -air is rehumidified to 40-70% and provides moist clean air, good for the lungs, sinus, throat etc.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

The biggest concern is some overly helpful DM will grab it as a handle and break it. Hopefully less and less of a concern as people are slowly getting used to looking a little more carefully due to wireless transmitters and such.

I've heard nothing but good reports on them... for people who have real problems with dry mouth. If you only occasionally have issues, it's probably not worth the expense and added hassle. You have to periodically re-wet the sponge, and do other minor upkeep, to keep them working.

Again, if dry mouth is a real problem for you, it's definitely worth giving it a shot.

What I'd like to read is people's experiences with alternative moisturizing media, like saline solution, or glycerine, or... Stolichnaya. With thousands of these things sold, I bet somebody somewhere has tried something at least once.

mike_s:
however, at $150 bucks each.... **ouch**. Why does Apollo charge so much for something that's essentially a wet-wick tube?

WHOAWHOAWHOA there Mike_S! That's "Life Support Equipment" you're talking about there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom