Apollo Bio Filter ... any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Along with a proper pre-dive routine, and other normal in-dive anti-DCS behaviors, I feel it helps minimizes the risk of symptoms by promoting more efficient gas exchange in the lungs and easier pressure equalization. It aids in reducing fatigue from dehydration, as well as headaches. In my view, it successfully augments optimization of my equipment profile for the type of diving I do.

I can sympathize with the other side of the discussion; that it's more money, that it could be considered another point-of-failure, and it's an additional item to maintain and service, etc. Having said that, it works great for me, and almost eliminates the negative effects of breathing dry air. On top of that, the charcoal filter helps remove micro-particulates from the air supply. It enhances my enjoyment of diving.

I just find the "helps avoid DCs" claim a little far fetched.

Admittedly, I'm no expert on human physiology. However, it seems a widely held position that dehydration is at least one of the risk factors for DCS. Pulmonary gas exchange in the alveoli is apparently optimized when the humidity of the air in the lungs is high, and close to body-temperature. Since moisture is added to inhaled air by the body, I suppose it would make sense that you could progressively become more dehydrated as a result of breathing compress air with an average humidity level of 0.1%. By this thinking, it would be easy assume that breathing compressed air that has been re-humidified to a level of 30%-70% might help to normalize this physiology at depth. Obviously, breathing re-humidified air isn't going to help as much if you went out on a drinking binge the night before, and didn't bother to hydrate your body the morning of your four-tank. Given that there are many factors impacting DCS risk, cumulatively it is perhaps not hard science.

I was probably somewhat skeptical myself when I purchased my BioFilter; all that went away after I used the product. I'm curious if you would be more likely to take-the-plunge at the same price if the DCS claim wasn't being made? As previously stated, I think the real selling point for me now is that it provides an additional level of comfort to my dives, and I'm glad to have it on my rig.

Having said all this, skepticism about the effectiveness of the product and its' associated claims is probably pretty common, especially considering the price of admission. Since you're not the first person that's asked me about this, I sent off an email to Apollo Sports to inquire if they have any data or studies that support their marketing. I'll follow-up when/if I hear back from them. In the interim, if anyone else has information to share, we'd be interested to hear from you.

Last edited:
I have the bio filter and I was wondering the others who have it, how do they dry the moisturizing wick after their dives? Do you just leave it out in the open to dry or something? I find that if I leave it around to dry, it normally still takes like at least a full day or 2 before it drys..

Also, is it possible to buy the moisturizing wick by itself without the filters? The charcoal filters seem to last a lot longer than the wicks...

I have the bio filter and I was wondering the others who have it, how do they dry the moisturizing wick after their dives? Do you just leave it out in the open to dry or something? I find that if I leave it around to dry, it normally still takes like at least a full day or 2 before it drys..

Also, is it possible to buy the moisturizing wick by itself without the filters? The charcoal filters seem to last a lot longer than the wicks...

It is wise to keep the moisturizing wick out until dry.

Moisturizing wicks and filters are available as kits or seperately. Information and pricing is @
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

Back
Top Bottom