Apeks or SP for tech/cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikel

Reaction score
Just starting to learn tech and cave. Only have choice of apeks atx reg or sp mk25/s600 or mk16/s550. I just want whichever is safest/most reliable. May use for cold water; thus if SP would choose mk16 (if am correct this better for serious cold than mk25). Appreciate any help! Thanks.
Mike

Basically, flip a coin...

Talk to six people, you will probably get a split right down the middle. Try one, and see what you like. DO your research and figure out whats good for you...

Try the search button... You might be surprised at how many threads exist pertaining to this exact query...

Both of those regs are safe and reliable BTW. My personal choice is Apeks... I dive in cold water, and i like diaphragm regs better because they are more bulletproof than a piston.

Both are great regs but my preference is SP as customer service is better where I live.

No way you are going to overbreathe a Scubapro piston reg.

I think it's hard to beat the reliability of Apeks. I've got over 2 years on my TX100... no service yet and it's rock solid (IP creep well within spec after 24 hours, and "spec" doesn't say to leave it for 24 hours).

I've heard reports that Scubapro regs tend to get a little "jittery" on heluim mixes... "jittery" as in they feel like they're getting ready to bust into freeflow at any moment.

Flip a coin... either one will serve you well. Buy the one who's dealer you trust the most.

Did a 84m dive not too long ago my SP D400 & 380 did not want to free flow at all :eek:ut:

my suggestion is to see which brand
you can get better service from your LDS and
go with that brand since both are excellent
quality

if you can get good service on both,
try to test them both out and see what you like
better....I tested both brands and decided
on the Apeks ATX50

I had problems with early S550 reg. Every time when i was in head down position went to freeflow.
I think most reliable from SP is MK18, S600

compressor once bubbled...
Both are great regs but my preference is SP as customer service is better where I live.

I made a decision the old fashioned way. Called both companies; compared customer service on the phone. AL's APEKS division won.

just on the thought of coldwater performance, I have heard a couple people complain about the SP freeflowing...

:doctor: SP are good regs but I like the APEKS. APEKS were used to record depth and they perfomred well at 1010 feet. I think that is deep enough and cold enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom