Apeks ATX50 vs Mares Abyss 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that turnerjd has it right. You should buy it based on alot more factors
1. serciveability
2. warranty
3. suitability to your diving
4. Price

Those are just a few things. I think that when comparing two regs that are very close such as these two, any one of the factors above could make the choice. What if you like the reg but cannot service it? What if the reg works great but you get reamed on parts costs every year? What is the reg works great and has environmental seal, over balanced first and balanced adjustable second stages but you only dive 10 times a year is a shallow fresh water lake? Just think about what works best for you. I think that asking here you will just get the Apeks users saying yes and the Mares guys saying yes. Some of which have never tried the other.

Personally, I love my apeks and it has unbeatable warranty and performance. But I also benefit from the features like the adjustable second stage, and evironmental kit. I also have nothing against the Mares, they are great regs and they breathe realy nice without the aide of any knobs or dials. On the other hand the metal second stage can be a corrosion magnet, and the lack of an environmental seal would not suit me well in thecolder conditions. So if you are still really confused maybe make a list of the features that you want and then see which one has most of them. If it is close, then use some of the criteria above like serviceability.

Back
Top Bottom