Apeks ATX50/ATX40 Combo Price Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys,

I'm finally able to purchase my first set of gear, and am looking at two possible options. One is the Apeks ATX50/ATX40 combo (which is my preferred option), and the other is the Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX combo.

I e-mailed my LDS the other day... and got this reply.

Brandon, Thanks for your email
An APeks ATX50 with ATX40 would cost you $762.00
We have one set of last years model ATX50 ATX40 in stock and can give you a
price of $680.00. If your interested please email or give us a call

Is this a fair price? I might be able to get it down to $612, if they'll honor the student discount that they claim to offer. Would I want to have the regulator serviced immediately, as it had sat on the shelf for a year or better?

Otherwise, I'm looking at ordering the Zeagle set from Scubatoys. I think it was around $550.

Any advice would be helpful, looking to buy very soon.

-Brandon.

Either way you go, you've made a good choice. I use the ATX50's for primary and secondary and a Zeagle ZX50 for one of my deco bottles. They all breath the same. I like the metal knob and DIN wheel better on the Apeks though. I own a lot of Zeagle equipment, and they stand behind it, as does Apeks. The new Apeks ATX50 1st stage comes with a plastic DIN wheel now, so last year's model wouldn't be too bad. The shop should test the equip as part of the sale. If it needs service, then they should service it. It's pretty cheap anyway.

The price seems fair.

Diveinn.com has the set ATX50 & ATX40 for 421.56 USA$

Yeah... I've thought about Diveinn and Leisurepro a bunch... talked to UnclePug about it a lot too... ended up deciding that I would like to have a proper warranty.. and am willing to pay extra for it.

I'm 99% positive that my LDS wouldn't service a regulator that I bought online. I've had some issues with them in the past when they found out that I purchased most of my basic gear online.

-Brandon.

fairbanksdiver:
Yeah... I've thought about Diveinn and Leisurepro a bunch... talked to UnclePug about it a lot too... ended up deciding that I would like to have a proper warranty.. and am willing to pay extra for it.

I'm 99% positive that my LDS wouldn't service a regulator that I bought online. I've had some issues with them in the past when they found out that I purchased most of my basic gear online.

-Brandon.

It's worth the warrenty to pay the extra $$, but your LDS should still service the gear. You would just have to pay for the kit and the labor. I can't believe they'd turn that down. What if you brought in gear you had bought years ago? They'd still service it, wouldn't they?

Yeah, like I said, I really don't know for sure. Their attitude when talking about anything online related is so harsh, that I don't have the testicular fortitude to bring it up.

fairbanksdiver:
Otherwise, I'm looking at ordering the Zeagle set from Scubatoys. I think it was around $550.

And of course, that's before you call and hit me up for a 10% ScubaBoard discount... :wink:

Question is the ATX40 an actual octo or is it the reg and it is being used as an octo. Leisurepro (i know) is selling the ATX40 octos for like $130 something. I'm not understanding the huge price gap? Can someone shed some light? I mean a little extra for a warrenty is one thing, but a $300-$400 gap? I'm missing something.

Divermark2003:
Question is the ATX40 an actual octo or is it the reg and it is being used as an octo. Leisurepro (i know) is selling the ATX40 octos for like $130 something. I'm not understanding the huge price gap? Can someone shed some light? I mean a little extra for a warrenty is one thing, but a $300-$400 gap? I'm missing something.

The ATX40 can be used as an Octo 2nd stage attached to whatever 1st you are using, or you can use it as a primary with it's own 1st. $130 sounds like just the 2nd stage without a first. The ATX40 doesn't have the adjustments like the ATX50, but is still a great reg. I use two ATX50's, but that is for depth and uniformity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom