Anything you want.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are "similar" in some ways for sure but different in others and there are subtle but VERY distinctive differences especially at the second stages. The differences are more than just cosmetic btw. You obviously don't know the difference between the two. I'll be able to tell the difference especially when going down below 15 meters.

Ca you be more specific about the differences? Depth would not really affect 2nd stage performance until you get way way deeper than anything even remotely recreational.

The designs are very similar.

Since I like cold water diving, I prefer sealed diaphragms over pistons. This means I prefer Apeks over Scubapros and Atomics. I have owned the lowest end Z2 Atomic regulator and it was engineered to PERFECTION! I took it to 130 and it practically does the breathing for you. If I was a tropical diver I would buy nothing but Atomics.

Since I dive in cold ice conditions, Apeks is a better choice for that type of diving. I recently switched to Dive Rite regs and other than one nasty free flow at the surface in cold 40 degree water, I have had no issues. It is possible that after their first service interval Dive Rite XT that I presently own may replace Apeks as my preferred all time favorite for cold water. It is US made so that is a huge plus for me. I can call Lamar and chat with him over the phone and he stands behind each product like they were his children. Try getting a hold of the owner of Apeks ...

Since I like cold water diving, I prefer sealed diaphragms over pistons. This means I prefer Apeks over Scubapros and Atomics. I have owned the lowest end Z2 Atomic regulator and it was engineered to PERFECTION! I took it to 130 and it practically does the breathing for you. If I was a tropical diver I would buy nothing but Atomics.

Since I dive in cold ice conditions, Apeks is a better choice for that type of diving. I recently switched to Dive Rite regs and other than one nasty free flow at the surface in cold 40 degree water, I have had no issues. It is possible that after their first service interval Dive Rite XT that I presently own may replace Apeks as my preferred all time favorite for cold water. It is US made so that is a huge plus for me. I can call Lamar and chat with him over the phone and he stands behind each product like they were his children. Try getting a hold of the owner of Apeks ...

Get an Atomic M1, it is their technical/cold water regulator.I dove with Atomic regulators (and SP) in the middle of the winter in New England, NY and NJ without any issues at all. Atomic regulators, because of their design, can go several years without needing service and still perform like new.

Dive Rite regulators are made in the Far East not the US AFAIK.

Last edited:
Ca you be more specific about the differences? Depth would not really affect 2nd stage performance until you get way way deeper than anything even remotely recreational.

The designs are very similar.

One of the key differences in performance is the Venturi setting on the Atomic second stage, it is automatic and will go to full force below circa 15 meters. There are more differences related to reliability and material and not just performance.

Atomic Aquatics Second Stage Regulator Design

Get an Atomic M1, it is their technical/cold water regulator.I dove with Atomic regulators (and SP) in the middle of the winter in New England, NY and NJ without any issues at all. Atomic regulators, because of their design, can go several years without needing service and still perform like new.

Dive Rite regulators are made in the Far East not the US AFAIK.

Thanks Burhan. Have you gone under ice with your M1? What is the coldest water temperature you have subjected them to? Any cold water related free flows? I read a review that the chrystolube that they use to seal it can leak out upon pressurization. Any experience with that?

zeagle, atomic, and the metal parts of Hollis are the only regs made in the US afaik, Apeks in England, Scubapro and Mares in Italy, Poseidon in Sweden.
Hog and Dive Rite are in Taiwan but by different companies.

diving anything colder then the WA coast is never going to happen.

I was going to get a backup regulator for work. Boss was happy with my work last year, I logged over 50 dives for maintenance and raised 2 boats so he let me splurge a little.

I ordered a Atomic T3 since they said they didn't know when the new SP Ti reg was going to ship.

no troubles in the cold here...

upload_2016-12-23_20-0-42.png

Thanks Burhan. Have you gone under ice with your M1? What is the coldest water temperature you have subjected them to? Any cold water related free flows? I read a review that the chrystolube that they use to seal it can leak out upon pressurization. Any experience with that?

Me under the ice, no. I just didn't see the point to get up early, leave my warm bed, go out in the cold drive and get kitted up in the cold and take my old ass down in freezing waters under the ice to see nothing. I was invited once to do it and got up, looked out of my bedroom's windows and went straight back to bed.

I dove with my Atomic and SP regulators in the ocean during the winter. The coldest water temp. I remember was around 38F (in Cape Ann, MA). No issues at all.

The lube "may" leak very slightly after it is first used after service but never an ongoing issue (emphasize "may" and "very slightly". I don't remember it being an issue for me with my own Atomic regulators however. I have ALL versions of my atomic regulators are sealed (B2, ST1, T2, M1, Z2).

Never a problem with SP regulators either. I know several technical divers (instructors also) who dive through the winter in the Boston area with their SP regulators to do technical dives and no issues with their regulators.

Back
Top Bottom