Anything you want.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulators? Poseidon Xstream for me. Realistically I'd be getting Deep6 regs as they would sort out my servicing drive issues. Is this a bar-type conversation or is there an actual set of regs in the offing?

Poseidon offers the same technician course as Deep6 and HOG now fwiw and through that, you'll be able to freely purchase parts from any dealer.
Special tools available from here
Poseidon special tools

Money no object for me would be one of two regulators. Single hose would be Poseidon Xstreams. The only thing they're missing is the swivel turret, but that's a nice feature vs. a must have. The rest of the regulator features make it worth overlooking in my opinion. Non-directional makes air sharing more simple and sidemount a breeze, the servo makes them breathe incredibly well, the new MK3 first stage is a work of art in engineering simplicity, and now that parts are available and have been consistently since James finally took over, and you can take the official course from Poseidon, I have 0 qualms recommending them. They do breathe a little "different" than other regulators, but I prefer the difference.

The other would be the Kraken. Double hose regulators are brilliant and the new one with the DSV is awesome if you're doing single tank diving, plus it's something cool that no one else is likely to have

Unfortunately or fortunately you have one of the best regulators on the market right now, so nothing you buy is really going to be "better".
Atomics are basically re-engineered Scubapro's so you aren't going actually be able to tell anything new about them, just shinier and slightly different looking. Advantage to Atomic is they are Made in USA if that matters to you, and parts kits are available freely.
Apeks don't breathe as well as the MK25/S600/G250 so while you get a sealed diaphragm vs. piston, the only real thing you get is reversible options on the second stage. Not useful except for rare circumstances with decompression and stage bottles. No parts kits availability here without going 3rd party or grey market, so I wouldn't buy Apeks. Hell, I sold all of mine...
Deep6 would be up there on my list if you didn't already have top end regs and were trying to find something meaningfully different. They breathe incredibly well, are very well made, but aren't going to be a meaningful change unless you really like orange.

So, if money was no object what would you choose?

I was asked that very question and now I need to come up with an answer. No dive shops are really local so that doesn't play into it. It's about a 4 hour drive to get anything serviced.

Money no object, Scubapro MK25T EVO/S620 Ti, $2,200
upload_2016-12-17_11-34-44.png

Last edited:
And you would take that over the T3?

I have a T2. It's purely effortless breathing. I also like the swivel although twice I've just about dropped the reg out of my mouth since you forget it's there. I had a B1 before this w/o the swivel and there's definitely a pull to the side. For comparison I've also used a Poseidon Xstream - they breathe about the same but the Poseidon seems a little "pushier".

The Atomic seat saver orifice means it doesn't typically develop IP creep like other brands since there's no pressure on the seat when it's stored.

It's titanium so pretty bulletproof. I accidentally upended my entire rig off the tailgate of a truck and the yoke landed on the only rock in the parking lot - I dusted it off and dove with it the rest of the week. Didn't even scratch it. Gave no thought to having it looked at either at the time.

The last time I took it in for service, the tech came out and said the only reason he changed the parts was because he already had it apart and even gave me the used parts back for the next service. Also you can push the service interval on them - the limited lifetime warranty starts over every service interval. Do that with Aqualung and your warranty (and FPFL) is over.

Scubapro Mk5 wth a Balanced Adjustable primary and an Adjustable alternate, in great shape. Ready to dive with current poppets, you might find it for $200 but they could run twice that. They are bullet proof and breath as well as any new regulator. Titanium is unnecessary unless you are crewing a live-a-board.

BTW, buy 2 sets and you will never be trying to fix a problem regulator while othersw ar doing a dive.

Have two boats (19' and 29') and they cost actual money to keep up.

I think a friend can get commercial prices on most brands, the discount varies between brands tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom