Anyone tried the OMS drysuit gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I just read the entire dryglove thread on the attached drygloves, as a secondary option, has anyone tried the OMS drysuit gloves which are actually a wet glove with long gauntlets?

I'm trying to decide where to go on my next pair of gloves and exploring all available options.

Thanks!

I just recently got a pair of these gloves, and have used them on a few dives so far. The jury is still out on whether or not they are warm enough. They have an inner wrist seal which is supposed to cut down on water flow. So far it seems like it does a pretty good job. I do like the outer gauntlet, as it goes pretty far up the sleeve and protects my drysuit while I'm scrabbling around trying to grab that lobster that's just out of reach!

One thing I was thinking is that they might work better with a velcro strap around them that you could tighten up once you have them on. I may try to jury rig something like that on my next dive.

I plan on giving the OMS gloves a few more trial runs, and keeping them if my hands don't get too cold. The alternative would be to get a pair of the Diving Concepts dry gloves (see recent dry glove threads), but I'd like to try to stick with the OMS gloves if at all possible mostly due to the added protection of the gauntlet. I'm also thinking that the ring system on the Diving Concept gloves may interfere with lobstering.

Gary

What do you think of these gloves?

The wrist seal would keep out all the water, theoretically. I don't know how the seal would get along with your suit's wrist seal either.

All the kevlar and aqua seal makes them look tough and warm.

garyd once bubbled...
I just recently got a pair of these gloves, and have used them on a few dives so far. The jury is still out on whether or not they are warm enough. I plan on giving the OMS gloves a few more trial runs, and keeping them if my hands don't get too cold.Gary

I get the feeling from reading your post that you found your hands were "somewhat" cold and you are seeing if they get really cold or not. Or I could be off-base totally. Last question, how well can you "feel" with your fingers in these gloves?

Thanks!

Last time I used the OMS gloves, the temp was 41 degrees. You've summed it up right, my hands were a bit chilled, but not overly uncomfortable. I suspect a pair of true dry gloves would make them much warmer, but I'm not yet sure I want to switch. A buddy of mine just ordered some "Nordic Blue" dry gloves. I'm going to watch his experiences with those, and then decide on

A) Stick with the OMS gloves
B) Switch to Diving Concepts dry gloves
C) Switch to Nordic Blue dry gloves

As far as "feel", it's OK, but not great. I think they will get more flexible as they break in a bit. The inside of the hand is lined with kevlar, which adds to the stiffness a bit. I'm a little worried about being able to operate all of the tiny buttons on the back of the new underwater housing I just got for my Canon digital Elph!

The gloves pictured in the link look nice and tough, but I'm leaning away from any gloves with their own separate latex wrist seals. They look like they would be really hard to don!

Gary

I recently had the opportunity to try some OMS gloves. I have short arms, I'm Muscular and wear two wrist mount computers. I found them bulky around the forearm. I had excess in my finger tips. My wrist mount computers were hard to fasten. I will say this they were warm after I got going, considering the water was 37 degrees. I personally like dry gloves. Foe those of us who dive wet this may be a nice alternative. Not everyone is built like a fire plug.
Wreck/Tec

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom