Anyone know of a good looking GEAR BAG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only use by gear bag for when I'm on a boat. Transporting gear in my car I use a big rubber maid type tub from wal-mart. This is good because its durable, fits nicely in your trunk or backseat, and keeps wet gear from messing up your car. Some of these tubs even come with wheels.

If you are doing car based diving, think about a plastic tote. Everything stays organized and visible. throw in your wet stuff when you are done... controls the saltwater factor in the car. I use one with a closing top. All my hardware, less tanks, fit in this box. My drysuit has its own bag. I added a cord(drilled a couple of holes) across one end of the box, I clip all my pocket stuff to that cord. It is so much nicer than using a bag. You can't fly with it, but for the ten dollars or so that a plastic tote costs, even if you buy an expensive bag for travelling, buy a box for your car diving.

I also use a big plastic tub to carry my gear around in. It is perfect for throwing in and out of my vehicle at the dive site. You can drill little holes in the bottom to help drain the water out of. It is also cool to stick on stickers of all the dive shops you visit.

sharkman
:guitar:

Plastic tubs for me too.....

I find it EZ to get my gear out and put it back in when the dive is over. i dont own a Gear bag i use 4 Large Storge containers and they work perfect.

Andy

I used a Rubbermaid™ tub all last summer and it worked pretty well but I got tired of all my little stuff ending up on the bottom. But I didn't want to give up my tub. Then one day at the lake....I saw it!

It was flat black with lemon yellow trim, wide lawnmower wheels and a lovely stout handle that would hide away. He popped open those bright yellow latches and there it was, the answer to my problem. A matching bright, lemon yellow tray with 4 deep compartments, 2 with lids. It was autographed by...Stanley Tools. I had to have one, no matter what the cost!

I found my new box at Lowe's but I've since seen them at Home Depot but they are last years model and rapidly being replaced with a newer model. After bringing it home I discovered a couple more cool things. The lid does not come off but it does stay open. There are tabs on each corner with small holes to hold the ends of bungie cords. I keep a pr. of bungies crossed over the lid as a place to stash a dry towel, hold a t-shirt, etc....any thing you need handy as soon as you get out of the water.

I can get everything except the tank in this box and although the tray is about 6" deep, there's still plenty of room. In that tray, I've got places to keep my mask, computer/compass/gauges from getting crushed or scratched. A safe place for my glasses as I dive, etc......all those small thing that ended up in the bottom of the old tub.

And although it cost a stiff $49, compared to a $7 Wal-Mart tub, I think it's going to be worth every penny.

Here's a picture of it without the tray....My new box

Plastic totes are the way to go! I have a friend that works at a local auto parts store and they get these plastic totes on their weekly trucks. I can put almost all my gear, except for my BC of course. They can hold alot of gear and you can also lock the lids shut. Granted, if someone wants to get into one they can but it might slow them down.:D

Dee,

Way cool.

Hmm, do they make one that would hold a couple of tanks? Sorry gotta go, heading back to that web site.

Dee, I just went to Lowes and saw that box you were talking about. That thing is perfect so I had to get one. Thanks for the tip.

e-bags.com have a couple of large roller duffle bags by Ogio. A bit bright in their colors, but they DON'T have "SCUBA gear - steal me" plastered all over them. My wife and I each have one, and they hold everything needed for a week on a liveaboard or a day on the shore, including and AL 100 with the BC, fins, etc. The duffles are well-built, and even the airlines' baggage gorillas haven't managed to do more than scuff them up and rip one minor strap after a half-dozen flights.

Back
Top Bottom