Anyone interested in a "Tekvasion"???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A number of you may have read about our yearly ScubaBoard Invasion and now Surge events. We normally take over a place for a week for an intense time of diving and shenanigans. I've been to all of them and they've all been incredibly fun and I've made a number of friends along the way.

So, what about a Tekvasion? This would be a place to come together for a series of Tek Dives with maybe some deco reef dives interspersed to keep our bubbles down. Are you with me? Would you like to see something like this happen? If so, what would you like to see/do? Where would you like to go? What would be a deal breaker? Post here and if you're shy about that, shoot me a PM (conversation) and let me know what you're thinking. Maybe we can get a manufacturer or more to come along and let us try their gear?

If be interested if we can keep it reasonable for Divers of varying experience.

Say have the dives available so people just starting out can do a comfortable 150' dive and the people who want to head down to 200+' can choose to do those as well. I would stay out if all the deco dives were all going to be 200+'.

I would like a good combination of wrecks and some reefs.

Maybe we should just go to Key Largo and invade Pete's house.....

Like the Spree4All, I think we would make it possible for both Tek and Tek Lite. It might be a good time to get some training done before the trip, allowing you to practice those new skills.

I would also like to hear about people's favorite time to have this.

Like the Spree4All, I think we would make it possible for both Tek and Tek Lite. It might be a good time to get some training done before the trip, allowing you to practice those new skills.

I would also like to hear about people's favorite time to have this.

Hi Pete,

My son, Jeff, and I joined you and Elena last summer on the Spree4All and had a really fantastic time. It was a great way to avoid Florida mini-season. That trip was designed as Rec-Tec. The recreational option allowed us to join the tec divers on these great dives on the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle, Thunderbolt, Aldolphus Busch, and the Vandenberg. We got in 2 dives during each of the dive windows for 15 total dives and eleven and a quarter hours of bottom time. Obviously, and unfortunately, we will not be diving off the Spree again. I'm not sure if you are suggesting a liveaboard or land-based trip

We would be very interested in a trip with a rec option, we would have to pass if it were all tec. I look forward to hearing more.

Good diving, Craig

It sounds like a great idea.

I am based on Grand Cayman and can state that this island would be a perfect location for such an event. We have a deep wall just minutes away from the shoreline and the centre I work for - Divetech is fully kitted out with the gasses and gear required to make this happen.

I like the ideas that people have of combining the tek stuff with non tek stuff in order to to make the event open to all and if it can have something for beginner tek divers as well as those more experienced then that would be awesome. It could even be an opportunity for those that have had an interest in going down the tek route to get started on their training.

I'm looking forard to hearing more about this!

I would be interested - I've been to a smaller event like this on Cozumel and had a great time when I was first starting out in tech. Had all of my training done but few 'real' dives. This was rebreather and open-circuit friendly as well.

Definitely agree that allowing for varied skill levels would get more people to come. Cozumel has some great reef deeper down, or second the vote for the USVI. I lived on St. Croix for a while and did most of my tech training there - great people, easy access to all depths, and a lot of good off-gassing gives. And the food is as amazing as the rum is cheap.

Have done Caymans a few times, but can't speak to the tech diving there. Have heard great things. Basically anywhere sounds better than the local quarry I have to put up with until December.

Going in the off-season of whatever location is chosen would help in terms of costs, and increase likelihood of having entire boats dedicated to the tech crowd.

Id be good with Grand Cayman. However being TEC stuff I have a feeling that the turn out would be a much smaller crowd than the surge or invasion so no problem with needing multiple boats. It's too bad Frank sold the Spree that would have been fun.

Maybe add a TEC week to the next invasion where ever that will be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom