Anyone ever Shoot in TIFF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm tempted to upgrade from my Canon A540 6mp - love it,

540 really? I read that the housing is the same for the 530 cause the only dif between them is the lcd size. True?

I'll try to keep my camera hidden around you K:wink:

Ikelite is coming out with a series of housings for compact cameras! The front is the same, but depending on the model they have different backs! One case fits all, but different backs and controls! Will allow you to upgrade and you only have to get a new back for your housing!!!! They will fit most compacts!

Great idea.

it's not that it's too complicated! he knew that not everyone can shoot in RAW! and if you can you have to edit each photo! at least that was my understanding! maybe I am in the wrong here!?!

I have never shot in RAW! my camera does not do have that feature! so maybe I am not one that should have commented on this! I have done a few JPEG to TIFF back to JPEG edits but have not had to a chance to print any yet!

Maybe his main point was not to lose any quality by shooting in JPEG and then Re-saving your JPEG which is where your degradation comes in!

He was not a big fan of Photoshop unless you're a graphic designer (we were an intro to photo class)! He suggested Photoshop elements 6.0!

*using all the "!'s" because I know how much you like them...!
Programs like lightroom and bibble make editing raw files a non issue, you can even batch them over to JPEG unattended, so you've got lots to gain and nothing to lose by shooting raw.

Actually I want to revise my earlier comments in this thread about TIFF Don. I was going through my phots the other night, and the tiff photos did seem to stand out in sharpness and clarity more than the others, who were shot in the next best setting. Might be worth it after all...

Need to clarify what a couple of people said re copying jpg images and loss. If you copy or move a file outside of your application there is no recompression in a jpg image and no loss. If you open a jpg image and resave it somewhere else to copy it then the image may recompress and if so you will lose some additional information. If you use your application to move or copy files around the application may recompress the file and you will lose some additional information.

"May recompress" will depend entirely on the software you are using. I would assume that there is recompression in whatever software package you are using when working with jpg images unless you know there is not.

If you are moving or copying files around using the operating system be it Windows or whatever there is no recompression of a jpg (or any other) file.

Actually I want to revise my earlier comments in this thread about TIFF Don. I was going through my phots the other night, and the tiff photos did seem to stand out in sharpness and clarity more than the others, who were shot in the next best setting. Might be worth it after all...
Thanks I probly will give it a try. Do you remember what you used to edit, compress, reduce or convert them? Surely you didn't save them in 14 mb each. I'm a fumbling amateur at cameras and computers both but if you could give me the basic steps you used...? :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom