Anyone ever Shoot in TIFF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks I probly will give it a try. Do you remember what you used to edit, compress, reduce or convert them? Surely you didn't save them in 14 mb each. I'm a fumbling amateur at cameras and computers both but if you could give me the basic steps you used...? :thumb:

I would love to help you out here Don, but I am a bigger fumbler. I dropped them off the camera with Vista's default program and left them that way:shakehead:

I guess I should get around to actually doing some post processing one of these days. Prolly have some good pics hiding in there...:rofl3:

OMG how large are those pics? 14 mb each?

Here are some file sizes from a recent shot taken with my Nikon D70s DSLR:

RAW (Nikon NEF) 5.3 mb
TIFF w/o editing 6.7 mb
TIFF with Editing 23.8 mb

The files are all pretty easy to work with with Lightroom or Photoshop. Elements works well, also. I have quit using Elements as I need to dump everything to InDesign for a book project. I am using a souped up Vaio lap top running XP.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Whoa you used the DSLR word. Certainly out of my league. Anyway, I'll have to do some TIFF shooting next time I'm under. I'm thinking that I will...
  • Edit with Adobe Elements;
  • Then reduce with Microsoft Image Resizer to 1024 wide x around 150 Kb like I always do before storing;
And see how that works?

That would work. Actually, DSLR file handling is pretty similar to point and shoot. The major difference I found was the cost of the gear, increased learning curve, and much greater flexibility and quality. I still use my point and shoot, but DSLR becomes really addictive, especially for macro and specialty shots.

Good Luck,

Dan

Whoa you used the DSLR word. Certainly out of my league. Anyway, I'll have to do some TIFF shooting next time I'm under. I'm thinking that I will...
  • Edit with Adobe Elements;
  • Then reduce with Microsoft Image Resizer to 1024 wide x around 150 Kb like I always do before storing;
And see how that works?

Yeah, those shots are like 14mb each.

My plan all along was to store the originals on a dvd, and keep only small ~150kb on the hard drive, but I am so lazy it isn't funny.:shakehead:

Yeah, those shots are like 14mb each.

My plan all along was to store the originals on a dvd, and keep only small ~150kb on the hard drive, but I am so lazy it isn't funny.:shakehead:
Gawd, I come back from a trip with 200-500 pics that I want to share via email and store forever. Last one was 400+. At 14 mb, I could email one at a time, then listed to friends whine about how long it took to open the mail. At 14 mb x 400 = > 5 Gb hard drive tied up.

No, whether I shoot 4 mb or 14 mb pics, here is my general approach...
  • 1-Make a new folder on my Documents named Temporary. I use that for all downloads, etc, have for years;
  • 2-Make a new folder inside Temporary named for the Trip;
  • 3-Inside trip folder keep using Make a new folder to make sub-sub-folders named for each download and a copy of each. Sound like a lot? Nope. Just get organized.
  • 4-Edit a downloaded folder in Adobe Element when I have time, replacing orginals with edited (I have the backup folder) plus renaming them in Elements for the day. I normally use D-1 for dive day #1, L-1 for land pics of day #1, N-1 for night dive pics of day #1, D-2 for dive day #2, and so forth. See list below...
  • 5-Once I am totally finished edited, I then use Resize digital pictures quickly to resize the entire batch resize the original pic to Large: 1024x768 that will still look good on internet, stil play a full screen slide show on my laptop. This step runs at about 1 pic per second;
  • 6-Store that combined folder of finished pics named for the trip in my Scuba folder.
  • 7-Load the pics in AOL picture album for sharing.
  • 8-And there is a whole 'nother discussion about how I load into Scubaboard gallery. :D
Exceptional shots I may keep in the 3-5 mb range and I don't delete the backup folders for weeks. Oh, and I make back up copies of the trip folder to a flash drive twice a day. :11: I've lost pics before; have you?

When I combine all the edited pics into one trip folder, then Right-click a white area to Arrange Icons by name, they line up: D-1-1 D-1-2 D-1-3 etc L-1-1 L-1-2 L-1-3 etc N-1-1 N-1-2 etc D-2-1 D-2-2 and a View as slide show will play them in order. :crafty:

Not yet but I am working on it!:dork2:
Do you back up all documents on your computer to an External Hard Drive or some other, reliable resource? If not, and so many people do not, you will lose as all computer fail. Computers are for processing, not trusted storage IMO. Off topic that this is, I thot I'd throw that in there.

WD 160 Gb Ext HD: $85 here

Copying All Documents to dated folder on Ext HD weekly: Free

Never Losing Documents When Computer Fails: PRICELESS!

0071803712076_215X215.jpg

I keep dated copies of All-Docs for a long time; occasionally go to an older folder looking for something I deleted by mistake. That's kinda excessive, of course. Two or three copies would be sufficient to most....

How about the Western Digital 80GB Portable USB Drive Drive $90 here At 3.14" x 5.11" x 0.59" x 1/2 pound, take it on the trips.

These links to pages on Walmart.com are temporary as their stock and deals change often. If needed, search there. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom