Anyone ever Shoot in TIFF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your original is a jpeg and you open with PS and you do a 'save as' (so the edited version is saved as a seperate file) and close the original (with no saving), does that degrade the original file?

No, opening, saving as a different file and then closing the original does not degrade your original pic. if you resave it as a JPEG your JPEG copy may have slight degradation but prolly not enough for you to notice.

Depends on the camera. You can create a jpeg file with zero compression in which case its basically a bitmap. I have a samsung camera that creates those. I think the reason it uses jpeg format is because its so universal as opposed to compressing the image.

A tiff is pretty much a bitmap as well. Every single pixel and its color are stored.

Trixxie, you need to take a good class from a knowledgeable instructor! He has you all messed up! Why would you go from JPEG to TIFF and back to JEPG unless it is for Web use? RAW shots in CS2 open with little need to do much and don't need extensive unless they need allot of adjustment and the RAW allows that! helmano is wrong! So it doesn't do any good to quote someone who is wrong! Never save your work as a JPEG! You are working in an edit program you are using that format to adjust and when you save you should always use TIFF so that that info is with the file! Lightroom and CS2 work in RAW not PS6.0 so I am not sure your on the right page? The PS programs uses RGB Photo Shop program to change the picture! So you have to chose how you will save it otherwise it defaults to the opening program!

Most of my threads are not nearly as much fun...

The most important thing Don is did you learn anything useful?

RAW images do need some adjustment but those can be done in two minutes. We're not talking about being a photo editor in order to get a good outcome using RAW.

That said, shooting in the highest quality JPEG can give you some great shots right of the camera.

Hijack - Just having completed an intro to photography class, my inst said why would someone who is not selling their pics to a magazine want to shoot in RAW? There is no image processing (white balance, compression, exposure, etc etc) taking place in your camera while shooting in RAW so you have to completely edit your image in order for it to be a viewable image. And RAW between Nikon is not the same as RAW in Canon which is not the same as RAW in Olympus.

He said if you get the lighting close and exposure close while shooting in JPEG then you might have to a little editing on your image instead of having to do MAJOR editing if you shoot in RAW.

Personally I don't want to have to spend extended hours of editing to enjoy my vacation photos.

He said to shoot in JPEG, download pics to your computer, save pic you want to edit as a TIFF, Edit, then resave as a JPEG keeping your original image untouched. Backup your original and your edited copy at least one, twice if they are important. (you can delete your TIFF after you complete your editing. If you save a JPEG and then edit the JPEG, every time you resave the JPEG you loose quality on your image)

Just my .02. I am not a photo expert but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Last night....

Hijack over.

I have to say Trixxie, I don't agree with much of what your photo instructor said. I normally capture in both RAW and Jpegs --the Jpegs are essentially my preview photos, the ones I might E-mail to a client and capturing them at the same time as the RAW photo saves me the conversion time later.

With my cameras, the RAW and Jpegs look identical upon capture. Working with the RAWS, converted to TIFF, is no more difficult than working with the Jpegs. Some cameras may not process RAW the same as Canon, of course.

But in any event, All that converting from Jpeg to TIff and back again isn't really necesary. And RAW photos are not merely for photos printed in magazines --the RAW file preserves all the data in the image, even things you don't necessarily see. That is worthwhile because, in the future, there may be technology that will exploit all that extra data.

To me, not shooting in RAW is wasting much of the power of digital photography.

Jeff

The most important thing Don is did you learn anything useful?
In the process anyway, thanks...

When your camera saves a picture in TIFF or JPEG it is apply processing to the photo (i.e. white balance, etc.) and reducing/compressing the image, you can't undo that processing completely so its important to get that right at the time you get the shot. RAW and Photoshop, etc. let you do all that stuff later at your leisure. The only things you absolutely can't fix with tools like Photoshop, etc. is poor focus and overexposure (blown out white). Photoshop Elements 6 is very good for what most people will do, it doesn't hurt to start there because they'll let you upgrade for the much more expensive PS CS3 for the difference in cost. Elements is surprisingly powerful for the money, IMO.

For cameras that support it, RAW is proprietary to each camera's sensor and processor. (There was quite a lot of angst recently when there were brand new prosumer cameras that didn't have RAW support from Aperture until the the OS X 10.5.2 update.) Adobe has converters from the various proprietary RAW to their generic DNG RAW format that is supposed to be usable long after some future version of Ps CS stops supporting the particular version of RAW for your particular camera. Photoshop does non-destructive editing, so the original RAW is never touched. Along with the RAW image the Ps image manipulations are saved and you can generate editied TIFF or JPEG versions of your image from there any time you want. There is good competition to Photoshop but not all the pretenders allow you to do non-destructive editing without starting over from scratch with the original image.

A lot of cameras that shoot RAW will also shoot RAW + JPEG at the same time. So you'll have the JPEG image to look at now and the RAW to correct with Photoshop/Photoshop Elements later.

There is a replacement firmware (OK that's an oversimplification but its close) for Canon P&S cameras that will turn on the RAW and RAW+JPEG support for many popular and affordable Canon P&S models.

John (film SLR but still digital P&S, and complete underwater photog n00b)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom