Anyone ever make Shearwater Silicone Cases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see these Silicone cases sold by US vendors for crazy high prices. Then I see them on Aliexpress for $3 or whatever but only for Perdix AI.

I have the Hollis (Petrel 2) and being tethered to CCR it tends to get banged around a lot.

Videos on youtube of making silicone phone cases look pretty easy. But perhaps a 3d printable mold or something would be the right idea. Has anyone ever tried making one of these or cranking out a run?

Bump as $65 for a case frustrates me...

Pretty sure you could run over a petrel with a car and it would survive, lol.

I bought one and I agree, as stated before, that the $65 price tag is steep for what it is. However, there is another option if you have or have access to a 3D printer. There is a file on thingiverse for a Petrel screen edge protector which bungees onto the screen which works very well and I've actually begun to use that instead of the silicone case as it is easier to remove and dry after dives. There's another 3D file on there as well for a complete screen protector which is solid, bungees onto the computer, and is meant for protecting the screen while transporting. Not sure what your end goal is with the silicone case or what parts of the computer you are specifically attempting to protect but the 3D printed edge protectors are great and probably cost about $0.60 in filament.

I started printing flex for exactly this reason - produce bumpers for less money. Flex, to me - so far - is quite nice for that application. After 10 dives, there is no seeable damage to the bumper i printed.
Do you have access to a printer? If need be, I am willing to come up with a stp-file with your measurements - but be aware, I am not too good with CAD and it will take around 5 prints for the case to fit properly.
I do not have access to a petrel, which makes things a bit more difficult but manageable, still. :)

Protectors? All part of the patina -- shows you've been diving!

Back
Top Bottom