Anybody Know The Greek Language At All?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for the Greek word for snow. Does anyone know what it is? Maybe the word for ice? My wife is getting an American Eskimo pup and wants to come up with a name to fit her original Greek roots. They originated from the spitz which was depicted on Greek vases as far back as 500 BC. They go further back to the late stone age (approximately 3000BC) when they were known as "the dog of the lake settlement" or the "Peat Bog dog". These names come from the locations where the skeletal remains were discovered.

We do not want to call her the "dirt dog" so we decided that the Greek timeline was far enough back when it was a well known breed.

Thanks for any help someone here can offer. I figured that there were enough people here from various corners of the globe that someone might just know.

Later, Hawk.

From the English-Greek online dictionary found at http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon/

Modern Greek translation for 'snow'
snow =
chioni, chionizo

ice =
pagos, pagono

dog =
skylos

I'll leave the pronunciation to you.

(P.S. Apparently this board won't support the Greek letters, so I've left the Roman transliteration)

Thanks Drew, I just knew someone here would be able to help. This place is simply a wealth of information.

Later, Hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom