Any suggestions for underwater digitals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iccohen

Reaction score
Not looking for something expensive, but something moderately priced ($3-400?). I've tried looking at reviews at various websites, but they seem to lean towards high-end stuff.

Reviews I've seen of the ReefMaster have not been good, so I'm wary of purchasing it, though the price is certainly within my range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi , Welcome to the board, you should check out the photo gear forum but let me see if I can answer your question. Reefmaster makes a great beginner to interm camera set, of both 35mm and 3.1mp digital. One good point about RM is no matter which camera you start with all the attachments work across the complete line. Their 3.1mp has a lot of good features, all though the buttons are clusterd to close together when taking pictures underwater with thick gloves on. It comes with an OK software, and all the cables to transfer to your PC and TV. Now this is just my opion but for the money 300 to 500 it is a great.

The next step up puts you in the 500-700 USD range, and that is the Sea&Sea G3000 with alot better features. You have to break out more dollars for a desent strobe say 500-600 USD. And then this camera is now on its way out with the intro of the G5000.

The best advise is to keep doing your homework and shop around and ask alot of question. Another thing is see if you local dive store is planing a demo dive with cameras, that will be a good learning tool. I dont know if you get to south Fl anytime but the company I work for offers these demo dive with camera's and other gear demo's all throughout the year, you furnish the dive equipment and a reduced boat fee and we furnish the camera and your pictures on CD-Rom

Hope this helped keep looking and read more

Scu_ba_doo

...I'll be in Key West this week on business, so I will bring some scuba stuff with me, and check into the demos with the scuba shops. And thanks for the tips...

scu_ba_doo:
Hi , Welcome to the board, you should check out the photo gear forum but let me see if I can answer your question. Reefmaster makes a great beginner to interm camera set, of both 35mm and 3.1mp digital. One good point about RM is no matter which camera you start with all the attachments work across the complete line. Their 3.1mp has a lot of good features, all though the buttons are clusterd to close together when taking pictures underwater with thick gloves on. It comes with an OK software, and all the cables to transfer to your PC and TV. Now this is just my opion but for the money 300 to 500 it is a great.

The next step up puts you in the 500-700 USD range, and that is the Sea&Sea G3000 with alot better features. You have to break out more dollars for a desent strobe say 500-600 USD. And then this camera is now on its way out with the intro of the G5000.

The best advise is to keep doing your homework and shop around and ask alot of question. Another thing is see if you local dive store is planing a demo dive with cameras, that will be a good learning tool. I dont know if you get to south Fl anytime but the company I work for offers these demo dive with camera's and other gear demo's all throughout the year, you furnish the dive equipment and a reduced boat fee and we furnish the camera and your pictures on CD-Rom

Hope this helped keep looking and read more

Scu_ba_doo

Skip the reefmasters & Sea & Sea.

Head for the Canon, Olympus or Sony digitals that also have housings. You can read great reviews here and compare the models side by side. You can also find out if housings are available here...

Do a search here for Canon A (there are several models) or Canon S, Olympus Stylus and Sony...have a look at the galleries of the posters as there are some great images.

My vote: Canon A series. (A search will find reasons and discussions).

Happy shopping!

I just got Canon S70 and the Canon underwater case for it. The case is rated to 40m. Last time I dove with the case down to 38m with no flooding. Next time I will put the camera in and see how good this thing is. I have been practicing at home to get familiar with the case and the buttons. I am still saving money for the tray, arms and external strobe. Gee this sport is expansive... :eyebrow:

By the way, has anyone come out with a DIY len cover for the case to prevent it scratching with all other metal equipment? I was thinking to cut off a Centrum bottle and use it as a len cover. Looks stupid though... :11ztongue Any better suggestion?

Skip the Reefmaster.....I had the DC310 for 1 day and took it back due to even crappy land shots. The reefmaster uses a cheap Vivatar camera you can buy at Wallmart for about $125. Nice housing, but cheap crappy camera.

Oly or Nikon would be my suggestion.

The PT housings for oly are very nice, but almost too many buttons.

I like the simplicity of my Fantasea CP4 pro housing ($150) and a Nikon 4300 4 meg pixel camera (ebay $225). Both land shots and underwater photos kick *** with this set-up. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom