Any reason not to get a crushed neoprene drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two dry suits, an "off-the-shelf" trilaminate one made in the UK under the Oceanic name that I then had modified by the manufacturer to fit me exactly, and a fully tailored O-Three crushed neoprene suit also made in the UK.

The O-3 took an age to make, with four or five fittings during construction, and is absolutely bullet proof. The interior is lined with a sort of velvet to make getting it on and off easy (though it's so stiff it still isn't easy) and the exterior is covered with Kevlar. I've had it 12 years and it is still exactly as it was when it was new. I cannot conceive of the suit ever being damaged underwater - I have brushed against jagged wreck edges and the wreck breaks long before any damage is done to the suit. It is very heavy and clumsy out of the water, but once in the water it's almost like a second skin. Whenever the water is cold enough for a drysuit I always use a heavyweight Thinsulate undergarment, but even in ice diving I don't wear anything else and I've never been cold. I use a weight harness, mainly because the suit's exterior is so slippery I'd be afraid of a weight belt slipping off. This suit is made of 3mm crushed neoprene (3mm after crushing) and is the only such suit O-3 ever made. They broke so many sewing machine needles that they changed to 2.5mm thereafter. Seals (wrists and neck) are neoprene, and the original seals are still comfy and totally waterproof. I hose the suit inside and out after every dive trip, and hang the suit upside down from the boots. I don't know how long it takes to dry, but it's always dry by the following weekend when I want it again.

The O-3 weighs 30lb+, so I don't take it on trips where I have to fly. For those I use my Oceanic trilaminate, to which I had O-3 fit neoprene seals once I realised how good they were. I'm still using the seals fitted over 10 years ago. This suit is stretchy and sometimes leaks in the crotch, where the fabric is under the most stress. I had it resealed the first couple of times it did this, but then realised this was pointless so now I'm prepared to get a bit damp around there. I'm used to the comments about peeing in my suit now! The suit has nowhere near the integrity of the O-3 but equally is far lighter and more flexible, and is great for lightweight diving in cold water. I wouldn't trust it for serious wreck penetration though.

The O-3 was made in the same way a bespoke tailor makes a business suit, with them making all initial measurements and then fitting the suit to me several times during construction. It was priced accordingly, but is a good example of "you remember the quality long after you've forgotten the price". I have had other drysuits, most notably two DUI CF200's, one made in the UK, the other American. Because of the system of measuring yourself and then having no fittings until you're presented with the finished article, neither really fitted me properly and I wasn't happy with either. The first was English, and after I had decided that was a bit of a disaster I believed people who told me that the original American ones were better. No it wasn't. I sold both on to people they just happened to fit reasonably well, and went to O-3 as they were suit makers to the most serious dive expeditions I had come across. If I were buying again I'd again look for a small local manufacturer with an impeccable reputation, and I'd ignore all national brands. I see it as being like beer - if you've heard of it steer clear of it!

Apollo makes a neoprene collar that you can place on your neck under the latex seal if you really don't like latex.
I had a tri laminate suit as my first suit. I like how light it was, dried fast very flexible.
My current suit is compressed neoprene bottom with CLX top. I chose this option for durability. I dive a lot, and felt this option will last much longer.

Go to Monterey in a couple of weeks. Sept 11-12 at the breakwater DUI will be doing a demo. go test dive suits until you are satisfied you know what you like.

Apollo makes a neoprene collar that you can place on your neck under the latex seal if you really don't like latex.

The Apollo device is called the BioSeal, and I don't think it's
neoprene. It's kinda sticky and has been reported to cause short
life in latex seals. Linda has one that she doesn't use except on
her backup suit which has a too-big neoprene neck seal. She's
about to get a Bare crushed suit

Had a chance to see the Bare XCD2 Tech Dry in person today, as well as the Whites Fusion Tech. I can see why the Fusion is popular. But right now I am leaning towards the Bare. Just seems like a more solid, well made suit. But, jury is still out.

For those using a Fusion suit, are you using the Tech skin or Bullet?

I've had two trilam suits and four crushed neo suits. I will never buy trilam again. My DUI TLS350 leaked like a sieve, even after sending it back twice. I found leaks throughout the material in the legs.
If you only make boat dives or easy beach entries, trilam will work fine, but for any rocky shoreline, you can't beat crushed neoprene.
I have also replaced my neckseal with neoprene and removed the wrist seals, connecting dryglove rings directly to the suit. I got tired of replacing seals every six months.

I got tired of replacing [wrist] seals every six months.

That's latex seals. Neoprene seals should last the life of the suit, and they're far more comfortable and keep the water out better.

Had a chance to see the Bare XCD2 Tech Dry in person today, as well as the Whites Fusion Tech. I can see why the Fusion is popular. But right now I am leaning towards the Bare. Just seems like a more solid, well made suit. But, jury is still out.

For those using a Fusion suit, are you using the Tech skin or Bullet?
I have a Tech skin and hate the pockets. They are supposed to have listened to the public and changed the pockets to a better design on the Bullet. There are plenty of reviews if you use the search function.
I have also replaced my neckseal with neoprene and removed the wrist seals, connecting dryglove rings directly to the suit. I got tired of replacing seals every six months.
For anyone reading this you can get an SI Tech neck ring that allows you to replace the latex seal on site. Same goes for the wrist seals. They should work on pretty much every suit. I will agree that neoprene is more comfortable, but my experience has been that they leak more, not less.
Hard to get the dryglove rings into neoprene seals though. :)
My fingers get too cold in our 50F water to press the shutter after an hour in neoprene gloves.
46 degrees off the Sonoma Coast today :cool2:

FWIW one of our dive team today was using a Santi suit that he liked and he also owns a Fusion.

Just in case anyone was interested, I ultimately decided to buy a crushed neoprene suit (Pinnacle Black Ice). Time will tell if it was the right decision or not. Worse comes to worse, I just buy a new one - it's just money :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom