Any reason not to get a crushed neoprene drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently ordered a crushed neoprene drysuit, but due to an ordering issue, I find myself with the option to make a change. I am not feeling that I should, but figured I would see what you all think about crushed neoprene drysuits for Monterey diving? I've gone over the pluses and minuses of trilam and similar vs crushed neoprene, but would love some feedback from you guys.

TIA!

I have a CF200. Easy to repair, tough as nails but it dries slowly and is very heavy out of the water when wet.

Pros and cons to every drysuit there is.

I'm on my fourth crushed suit (one had a problem and was replaced at
about half life by Diving Concepts, no charge) over about 1200 dives in
11 years). Can you tell that I like them?

I recently switched from Diving Concepts crushed to Bare crushed. The
Bare dries a LOT faster than either my DC suit or Linda's old Northern Diver.

Also, the Bare suit has an elastic expansion panel at the waist that makes it much
easier to get on than the DC, and I think will make it last longer (the two
DC suits I've worn out (over 11 years) have gotten leaky in the back, I
think from stretching them to put them on. The DUIs have an expansion
panel, but it needs a crotch strap, while the Bare has elastic inside.

I don't think the crushed needs any less undies than a shell.

Thanks everyone for all the great replies. They've given me much to consider, though I am further from a decision than I was before :) The two requirements I have are front-entry, and a neoprene neck seal. I know neoprene neck seals have their own issues, but I just can't handle latex round my neck.

If I may indulge you guys further, I'd love to know your thoughts on the following possibilities:
- Pinnacle Black Ice
- Bare XCD2 Tech Dry
- Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry
- White Fusion Bullet

Again, thanks for all the input. It is very much appreciated!

My G/F and I both own the Bare Tri-lam HD Tech Dry suit and Love it. We have had it over a year and half with no issues. WE have around 50 dives on them in water temps ranging from 40-75 of course warmth comes from undergarments which we use Fourth element Arctic, But also picked up the XT250 for those warmer water dives. Also a Dive buddy of ours Has the same suit He has had it longer and I am sure has much more dives on his and he loves his suit also.

The whites fusion I have tried and didn't like it. Personally I dont like the tight trash bag feeling of those types of suits. I found it very difficult to get in/out of. One of the people we have dove with has one. He said he loves the suit it's a tighter fit so less chance of air to move around but has the same issue with it being a little difficult to get in/out of. The other downside I see to the fusion as well as some neoprene suits is since they are tighter if you find yourself doing longer/colder dives it may be more difficult to add the additional layers you may need due to a tighter fit.

Best thing to do is find a store that has each of the suits your looking for and try them on. All the suits you mentioned are great quality suits and each have there own pros/cons and anyone can find different things about each. Either way you go you got a great suit. Good Luck, also I would second guess the neoprene neck seal. I know you said you can't do it if its because of alergic reaction its one thing if it's feel It may be something you want to do a demo with 1st and try I have seen a few stories of people that get them and wind up paying the money to switch them out as from what I hear they tend to leak and difficult to get a good seal. Coming up from a cold dive wet isn't happy.

I have thee dry suits currently (overkill, need to flip one): a 2mm crushed neo Bare, a DUI TLS, and a Fusion. By FAR my preferred suit is the crushed neo one. I find it the fastest to get on/off, the warmest, the easiest to repair (but it hardly ever needs it) and the most durable. It *is* by far the heaviest and would make a poor travel suit. If left in the sun to dry, it's done in a day. For a "use in home waters" suit, I really like crushed neo.

... The two requirements I have are front-entry, and a neoprene neck seal. ...

If I may indulge you guys further, I'd love to know your thoughts on the following possibilities:
- Pinnacle Black Ice
- Bare XCD2 Tech Dry
- Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry
- White Fusion Bullet

Hi Paco!

Well, if having a neoprene seal is a must, I guess the Fusion is out, since it comes with a latex neck seal.

First off, don't confuse "crushed" with "compressed". I have a DC Pinnacle 200 compressed neoprene suit, which actually has 7 lbs of buoyancy. The suit itself does offer some thermal protection, so I wear a thinner undergarment with it than I do with other suits. The disadvantage of this compressed neoprene is that you do have neoprene compression at depth, the same as with a wet suit.

The Bare XCD2 neoprene is much more compressed than the DC Pinnacle 200 or the Pinnacle Black Ice, but it still has some air left in the neoprene and so is buoyant and will then compress at depth. The DUI CF200 neoprene is completely crushed out; it is neutrally buoyant and does not compress with depth. I'm right now diving a CF200 once again after having used the DC Pinnacle 200 for the past 4 years and then a trilam suit briefly. IMHO, the CF200 is far and away the most comfortable suit I have used. And as several people have mentioned, it is extremely tough material. I did succeed in wearing out a CF200/SE a few years ago, but it took well over a thousand dives to do it.

The Bare XCD2 neoprene is much more compressed than the DC Pinnacle 200 or the Pinnacle Black Ice, but it still has some air left in the neoprene and so is buoyant and will then compress at depth. The DUI CF200 neoprene is completely crushed out; it is neutrally buoyant and does not compress with depth.

Both the XCD2 and the CF200 are 2mm "crushed/compressed" suits. I have several hundred dives in the former and a few in the latter (was borrowing it). I thought they both dived the same. If the Bare suit has any more inherent buoyancy than the DUI, it's minuscule and not worth worrying about. Both suits will dive very differently than a 4mm neo suit (which does have some real buoyancy swing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom