Any one dive with a Bare nex-generation dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently I have super skinny (or boney) wrists. I have not trimmed my wrist seals on my Nex-Gen at all and I get a little leakage on each dive. The wrist of my undergarment gets wet on the first dive and by the end of the second dive I am moist halfway to my elbows.

If your wondering: I make sure that my undergarment is pulled back and the latex is lying flush with my wrist (~1 inch) all the way around.

AS for a link with sizes see: http://www.bare-wetsuits.com

Looks like they are running a trade-in program now on their wet and drysuits.

I'm really liking my nex-gen as my first drysuit. Some day maybe I'll invest in the all-coveted DUI TLS350, but for now I'm happy. Incidentally, I bumped into a diver who has a DUI suit for sale (don't think it's a tls350 -- not sure of the model) because she lost a lot of weight and now it is too big for her. She bought a nex-gen and said that in some ways she likes it even better than her DUI.

I headed into my LDS earlier today (www.dolphinscuba.com), and found that they carry a tri-laminate drysuit made by Atlan. It's the Triflex Cordura at the end of this page.

http://www.atlaninc.com/docs/drysuit.html

The shop can get it for $699, and they have a rental model I'm going to try out on June 12th. We'll see.

I'm currently leaning toward the Nex-Gen, but am still researching the Nexus and now this Atlan suit. I found local dive shops that carry Bare and Nexus suits, and will check them all out before making a decision. I also sent off a message to www.divetanks.com to see what they have.

Thanks for all the information.

~ Jason

OK, today I trimmed away 2/3 of the 'bottleneck' area of one of my nex-gen wrist seals. It's now easier to stretch over my hand in order to don and doff, but it's still strangling me all the same! The size of the wrist seal hasn't changed, only now it's like stretching a thin rubber band over my wrist instead of a wide rubber band. Oh, it's a size Large suit, but the wrist seals have a big M (for Medium???) with a circle around it on the inside of the seal (I never noticed that until today). Was the suit built wrong, or do I need to trim away the remaining 1/3 of the wrist seal?

-Tiny-B.

Tiny Bubbles:
OK, today I trimmed away 2/3 of the 'bottleneck' area of one of my nex-gen wrist seals. It's now easier to stretch over my hand in order to don and doff, but it's still strangling me all the same! The size of the wrist seal hasn't changed, only now it's like stretching a thin rubber band over my wrist instead of a wide rubber band. Oh, it's a size Large suit, but the wrist seals have a big M (for Medium???) with a circle around it on the inside of the seal (I never noticed that until today). Was the suit built wrong, or do I need to trim away the remaining 1/3 of the wrist seal?

-Tiny-B.
Dude dont trim any more off. Lets wait and see if we can get ahold of Bare headquarters first. I dont think you want to dive wet right now while your suit is being sent back and new wrist seals being put on because you cut to much off. I agree with you Ray I dont think them seals were designed for trimming. Mine are bothering me a little also Ray and I need to do something but not right now will wait until I get ahold of Bare and see what they have to say. Or we can buy some of those dry gloves that bob3 sells and the rings eliminate the seals that might be a better option plus no more frozen fingers. Hey captn Gary has some opeining for some upcoming weekends You IN???????

I trimmed the the same amount off the other wrist seal, and then took it diving yesterday. It DID make a big improvement. MSilva was right. Trimming the seals is the way to go. It didn't feel like it was making much difference when I "tried it on", and in fact the seal openings are the same size they were before I trimmed them, but now I can wear the suit for an hour at a time without too much discomfort. And it didn't leak, either. I'll dive it a few more times and then decide if I want to trim a little more off or not.

Why doesn't socks come with the Nex-Gen Package? It seems the Whites Nexus package provides socks with their package deal.

Negatives that I see so far with the Whites Nexus deal is that the inlet valve doesn't swivel (Nex-Gen does), and there are no knee pads per say (Whites sends you molded plastic shin pads that supposedly provide knee protection, as well as air control for the feet).

Negatives with the Bares Nex-Gen deal with the ability to trim the wrist seal (garnered from the posts on this forum). Whites states specifically that their bell shaped wrist and neck seals can be trimmed for fit.

oharag

I'm byuing one today actually, need it for 39 degree F water in the Atlantic, off Nova Scotia...Comes with T200 underwear and the boots........sure counting on it being warmer than my wetsuit the other day at 120 feet....BRRRRRR

I have a Bare Nex-Gen, about 35 dives on it and love it. I also had thought of making it an entry level suit and stepping up in a few years, but now I don't know. I may just keep using this one. I also had a problem with the wrist seals. I have large wrists and my hands would go numb 20 min into the dive. I used tin cans to try to stretch them and this would only prevent them from going numb until about 30 min into the dive.

I got so frustrated at one point after a dive I just took and lopped off about an inch on each. I figured if it didn't work I was going to just replace them anyways. Well, it worked. They fit like a charm, are completely dry and my hands don't go numb anymore.

Definitely trim them and see how they feel. Although it looks as though it wouldn't help much, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom