Any one dive with a Bare nex-generation dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i LOVE my nex-gen. for the price, i dont think i could have beat it ($515 at leisurepro). just remember, theres two types of drysuit wearers: those that pee in their drysuit, and those who laugh at them. A pee-valve would be a nice addition, or a pee-zipper. its a real pain to take the suit off and undress just to use the bathroom.

Hi Frank >?
I read your issue with the cuffs seals and I must say the medium size of the Nex gen came quite tight for me as well.. after 4 hours I developed a tingling sensation in my hands...but anyway I see that you are going for dry gloves with hope that this is going to help on the tightness of the cuff???
My question is ??? are you going to completly eliminate the wrist seal ???

I have my dry gloves installed but from what I understand you should keep the seals anyway in case you loose your glove or be forced to remouve it under water without flooding the entire suit ..... just a thought..

What I do now is, I insert a empty spray cans in my cuffs to kind of stretch the latex seal it helps for few hours but it usually goes back to it's orriginal shape anyway... my wrists are 7.5 " and the cans are 8.5"

I thought about triming the seals a but they look like they are the same diameter all along... so I didn't touch my seals at all but I would love to trim them if it was possible...

I hope this will help .

Last saturday I dove in the 3 degrees water and the suit feels fantastic except i could feel the cold slightly under my hood and the neck area, other than that i have no negative things to say about that nex gen , and the value you get is incredibile...

Cheers

I used my nex-gen and ct200 for my ice diver certification and was pleased. No leaks, warm and comfy. For the price (less than $500) you can't beat it. Seems like a hearty suit that should last.

Well I bought mine under my OW instructors guidance. He bought one out of curiosity and loved it. I've yet to have a problem with it. I installed Skaana dry gloves this weekend that leave the wrist seals intact, but this was a great addition. The trek boots are great because I do lots of shore dives right now.

I don't regret buying this suit at all, and the price was definitely right. Doing my ice diving course in a couple weeks. I have T100 underwear, but will be layering up a bit underneath it.

bcsean:
Well I bought mine under my OW instructors guidance. He bought one out of curiosity and loved it. I've yet to have a problem with it. I installed Skaana dry gloves this weekend that leave the wrist seals intact, but this was a great addition. The trek boots are great because I do lots of shore dives right now.

I don't regret buying this suit at all, and the price was definitely right. Doing my ice diving course in a couple weeks. I have T100 underwear, but will be layering up a bit underneath it.

How did the ice diving course go with the Nex-Gen and T100 underwear?

I'm looking at going with this setup, and am curious to find what temperature range the Nex-Gen and T100 can handle. I've been diving 47 to 43 degree water lately in some high altitude lakes in Northern California, and Monterey can get down into the 40's. My 6.5mm wetsuit is just a bit to cold for me in these conditions, especially at Lake Tahoe when the wind chill gets low.

Any information on the warmth of the Nex-Gen + T100 setup would help out a lot.

~ Jason

I have used my Nex-Gen for 11 ocean dives this year in the 45-50 F range. Primarily, I have been wearing the T-100 with a layer of polypropylene underwear underneath it and I have stayed pretty warm.
I have also done a few dives where I have worn a long sleeve t-shirt and sweat pants between these two layers for added warmth.

My bottom times have been in the 35-45 minute range with depths from 75-110 ft.

HTH

It sounds like the T100 undergarment would work well for most of my diving, and from Paco's comments, it looks like the CT200 would help out for the colder days.

I'm trying to track down a LDS that sells the Nex-Gen, but I haven't found one yet (still looking). With regards to sizing the Nex-Gen, T100, and Trek Boots, is there an on-line sizing chart for this setup? I've found sizing information for White's Nexus, but not the Nex-Gen. I would prefer to buy local, and try everything on first. However, I'm not sure if that's going to be an option.

Besides going with www.divetank.com "Get a Pro Fit" service, are there any other sizing charts for the Bare Nex-Gen suits on the net? I'm hoping to get a basic idea of what to expect for sizes before commiting to a single on-line retailer if I'm unable to find an LDS that carries Bare suits.

Thanks for the help.

~ Jason

scuba860:
Im looking for a entery level drysuit.

Why?

If you buy an entry-level drysuit, that seems to imply that you're going to shell out a lot of money for something you intend to quickly outgrow.

If you want a drysuit, do some research and save up for one you really like that'll last and continue to meet your needs as you advance in your diving abilities.

Personally, I went with the Bare ATR-HD.

FrankF:
The only thing I don't like about is that the wrist seals are really tight.

nooreck:
I read your issue with the cuffs seals and I must say the medium size of the Nex gen came quite tight for me as well.. after 4 hours I developed a tingling sensation in my hands...

That could be because you're supposed to trim them to fit properly. As they come from the mfgr, the seals are way too small for most people.

I bought a nex-gen recently & have 10 dives on it. My only complaint so far is that the wrist seals are too **** tight! (It's a size Large, and my wrists aren't that big -- only 7.5" around). I've been storing it with beer bottles stuffed in the wrist seals to try to stretch them out. It's helped a little bit. The first time I wore it my hands turned blue & red, and I got a bad tingling sensation that started a few minutes after I took the suit off. After stretching them over the bottles for a few weeks, they're still too tight but my hands don't change colors like before. I think I'm going to try stretching them over some larger containers, and maybe soaking them in hot water while they're stretched.

I also have the T100 underwear and dive in 40-50'F water. It's plenty warm enough.

-Tiny-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom