Any one dive with a Bare nex-generation dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles:
After stretching them over the bottles for a few weeks, they're still too tight but my hands don't change colors like before. I think I'm going to try stretching them over some larger containers, and maybe soaking them in hot water while they're stretched.

Trim, don't stretch.

You'll notice concentric circles on the seals. Trim a very thin strip from the end and try them again. Repeat as necessary to get a good fit, and be careful not to leave jagged cuts that can easily become torn.

Tiny Bubbles:
Matt, have you ever trimmed the wrist seals on a bare nex-gen suit?

Not on a Nex-Gen, but I have on an XCD2 and an ATR-HD, which are both Bare.

The nex-gen seals don't have any concentric circles on them. And the seals are bottle-neck shaped, not taper shaped. Trimming them would only result in less sealing area, not a larger size. Unless you trimmed away the entire sealing area and cut into the 'shoulder' of the bottleneck, which wouldn't be good.

-Tiny-B.

MSilvia:
Why?

If you buy an entry-level drysuit, that seems to imply that you're going to shell out a lot of money for something you intend to quickly outgrow.

If you want a drysuit, do some research and save up for one you really like that'll last and continue to meet your needs as you advance in your diving abilities.

Personally, I went with the Bare ATR-HD.

I guess that depends on your priorities. The suit I want and will eventually purchase is a custom DUI TLS350. However, to go this route I get to buy two suits (one for my wife, and one for myself). Depending on the deal I'll be able to work out at the time we have the cash for the DUI suits, I expect to spend between $2,000 to $2,500 per suit with the options we'll want to add which brings the total cost to somewhere between $4,000 to $5,000 minus tax and other accessories.

In the short term (i.e. 1 to 2 years), I have $800 or so to spend now for a temporary suit to start gaining experience with drysuits and doubles. A friend I dive with has a Nex-Gen suit with over 150 dives on it, and he's happy with his decision to go this route.

I would prefer spending $800 now to gain experience with a drysuit over the next two years or so while we save up the $4,000 to $5,000 for the DUI suits. If nothing else, the $800 will be another donation to my education fund, and will allow me to dive those colder sites that my wife is currently able to dive with her bi-laminate, Ocean Vendor suit.

Now if I can get a better suit, undergarment, and boots (if needed) for $800 to $1,000, then I'll definitely go that route.

My $0.02.

~ Jason

You can get a nexgen package from www.divesource.com for $899 Canadian. I was seriously thinking about purchasing that package until I made a stop at divetank hq in Vancouver, where I was offered an xcd2 pro back entry with a ct200 undergarment, tech dry hood, and 5mm gloves for 1200 Canadian. Thats about 880 US. Needless to say, it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Tiny Bubbles:
The nex-gen seals don't have any concentric circles on them.

The circles are only a guide, they aren't important... or obvious.

Tiny Bubbles:
And the seals are bottle-neck shaped, not taper shaped. Trimming them would only result in less sealing area, not a larger size.

The ones I did had the bottle shape too. If you trimmed them, you'd find that it does make a huge difference. Of course, it doesn't look like it would, so I understand why you'd be reluctant to try it.

If you want a second opinion, contact Bare's customer service: 800.663.0111
DIVE@BARE-WETSUITS.COM

darkpup:
I would prefer spending $800 now to gain experience with a drysuit over the next two years or so while we save up the $4,000 to $5,000 for the DUI suits.

Sounds like a reasonable plan Jason.

I may try trimming the wrist seals... I didn't know it would work on this type of seal. Thanks for the info.

-Tiny-B.

Tiny Bubbles I had the same problem but not as extreme as you. Stetching the seals won't help you, this latex has memory and it goes back to it's orriginal shape no matter what you do. I would suggest to trim the wrist seals of bit by bit like I did it and get to the point where you will be comfortable wearing the suit for few hours without feeling pressure, and don't worry they will not leak on you, you don't need that much pressure on them anyhow.
I had to do the same thing with my neck seal, before I felt like being choked to deth.
I hope this will help a bit and it's only a suggestion.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom