Any one dive with a Bare nex-generation dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba860

Reaction score
Im looking for a entery level drysuit. I was looking at the bares nex-generation drysuit. Let me know what you think of this suit.

It's ok but there are better entry levels out there such as the White's Nexus.

The Bare is a very rough surface both in and outside, has a lot of drag and just downright chafes and sticks to you.

My recommendation would be to really do you research on neoprene vs shell, decide what you want the suit for and save up your mony and buy a decent one. The price difference is not so much that it isn't worth waiting and saving some more instead of buying a stopgap suit.

Bare makes some decent drysuits. I ended up going with the XCD2, which is a front entry compressed neoprene (2mm) suit. Great suit. If you're going trilam, check out the ATR HD.

I was impressed with the Nex-Gen where I've seen it, and I've been very underwhelmed by the bi-lam giant bag style of the Nexus. The bi-lam is not going to last as long as the Nex-Gen.

He might not appreciate this, but grunzster has a Nex-Gen.. you might PM him for his opinion.

d33ps1x:
AKA double layered drysuit.

That's not what a bi-lam fabric is.
I haven't been able to tell exactly what the Nex-Gen fabric is.. maybe it's technically a bilaminate, but it's nothing like the Nexus. The Nexus fabric is a nylon with a waterproof plastic laminate on the inside of it. This is the same stuff all of the watersports drysuits I deal with are made of. It doesn't hold up very well - the non-protected laminate on the inside wears down and develops very tiny leaks in wear areas.

It's two layers of material laminated together. I never suggested they were like layers.

Although I'm not an expert in the process and materials Bare claims that their NexGen is a bi-laminate suit so I'd tend to believe them. Just because it isn't the same two materials laminated in the White's suit doesn't mean it's not a bi-lam.

You could call a cardboard with wax melted to it bi-laminate if you wanted too.

I have the Bare Nex-Gen and have been diving it since November without issue. It hasn't leaked a drop. I've only got about 20 dives on it, so I can't really comment on the bilaminate failure issues, though. The only thing I don't like about is that the wrist seals are really tight. I have pretty small wrists and it's still an issue. I am going to install dry gloves to allieviate this. IMHO for the price you couldn't go wrong, especially for an entry level purchase (which mine was). It's nicer to learn what you do and don't like about drysuits in something that didn't cost you $2500!

scuba860:
Im looking for a entery level drysuit. I was looking at the bares nex-generation drysuit. Let me know what you think of this suit.

I just got my Nex-Gen last week. I haven't dove in it yet so I can't tell you about what its like in the water. What I can tell you is that its a damn good value for the price. Regardless of what d33ps1x says many, many people on this and other boards seem to be very happy with the suit. Do a search of the posts here and you will see.

FWIW I was able to get Bare's package deal (suit, underware, gloves, boots, hood) plus dry suit training from a LDS for $800 total. Try getting a deal like that on another suit. :dollar:

hex92:
I just got my Nex-Gen last week. I haven't dove in it yet so I can't tell you about what its like in the water. What I can tell you is that its a damn good value for the price. Regardless of what d33ps1x says many, many people on this and other boards seem to be very happy with the suit. Do a search of the posts here and you will see.

FWIW I was able to get Bare's package deal (suit, underware, gloves, boots, hood) plus dry suit training from a LDS for $800 total. Try getting a deal like that on another suit. :dollar:

The question was let me know what you think of this suit. As someone who has a LOT of dives on one I did just that. Mine is still working too. I know of two people who's seamless weld technology went for s*#t and they now have semi drys. In hind sight I would still dive wet a while longer while saving up for a non-entry level suit with additional features for comfort, drag reduction, and ruggedness like warren_l did. I'm not being a snob I'm being honest based on experience.

Regardless, I glad you are happy with your suit. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who's needs it meets admirably.

BTW the Nexus suit comes in a very similar, in fact identical deal and priced to match the Bare deal so there are other suits out there in the price range.

If I had to buy again I would buy neither but since I have it I'll just dive the hell out of it before I buy another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom