Any Edge users?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks: I am interested in getting an Edge regulator (Epic 12 COLD) for cold water diving. Has anyone used Edge regs before? I understand that there are a lot of fans of HOGs but I have been using an Atomics Z2 and wanted to know how Edge would compare to atomics in terms of breathing effort. I was told that Edge Epic 12 will be far more reliable in extremely cold conditions but it will not have the ease of inhalation that Atomics have. Would love to hear from someone who has had the opportunity to compate.

BTW: I love the Atomics reg. It is the cheapest in their line and breathes as well as those really high end regs in recreational depths.

the Edge Epic is simply awesome. it compares will to regs that are 2 and 3 times the price. I'm very happy with my Edge Epic and totally recomend them.

I was diving an all HOG rig. This trip I am diving an EDGE 1st stage and two HOG seconds. I dont notice any difference at all after switching to the EDGE 1st.....well except that I no longer have to use the DIN to Yoke adapter :)

My son uses an Edge Epic and loves it. He says it was the best Christmas present he ever received!

Attachments

• Edge Epic.jpg
    Edge Epic.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 259
If not mistaken, the Epic is the same innards as the HOG, with a yoke instead of DIN. That is if I remember correctly.

If not mistaken, the Epic is the same innards as the HOG, with a yoke instead of DIN. That is if I remember correctly.

Yep, you remember correctly!

Yep, you remember correctly!

I stopped by Cerich's booth at the Colorado Dive show last week and met him and looked at the gear and asked a few questions.

Is there a reason you want to trade away from what you have? I sort of wonder when people buy the "cold" regs that are environmentally sealed. We see it in California a lot (hint: your reg is not going to freeze in 45'F water).

How many dives are you really going to make each year in <40'F water?

I ask because you're sort of on the forum a lot asking about diving in this place or that, and it seems like your money might be better spent actually diving than replacing a functional piece of equipment you already own.

It also comes in DIN.

Is there a reason you want to trade away from what you have? I sort of wonder when people buy the "cold" regs that are environmentally sealed. We see it in California a lot (hint: your reg is not going to freeze in 45'F water).

How many dives are you really going to make each year in <40'F water?

I ask because you're sort of on the forum a lot asking about diving in this place or that, and it seems like your money might be better spent actually diving than replacing a functional piece of equipment you already own.

I plan on spending the next few years of my life photographing extremely cold oceans. By extremely cold, I don't mean California. I mean Labrador, Northern Maine and possibly Arctic. Then Great Lakes, Vancouver and Alaska. So cold water will be my primary "element" for most of my life. I would not mind doing the Caribbean dives once in a blue moon. Who hates white sand beaches and crystal clear oceans. That is where everyone goes for their vacations right? I just can not continue to own gear for vacational diving when my actual diving is heading in a different direction

This should also explain why I am always asking about diving in places like Labrador and New Brunswick etc :)

Makes sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom