Any Edge users?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact Jim Lapenta and he'll fix you right up with a set. You can trust Jim. He won't steer you wrong.

I plan on spending the next few years of my life photographing extremely cold oceans. By extremely cold, I don't mean California. I mean Labrador, Northern Maine and possibly Arctic. Then Great Lakes, Vancouver and Alaska. So cold water will be my primary "element" for most of my life. I would not mind doing the Caribbean dives once in a blue moon. Who hates white sand beaches and crystal clear oceans. That is where everyone goes for their vacations right? I just can not continue to own gear for vacational diving when my actual diving is heading in a different direction

This should also explain why I am always asking about diving in places like Labrador and New Brunswick etc :)

Makes sense?

It seems like this is a much better deal on an EPIC 1st stage with a second stage containing much more heat-exchanging brass:

Edge Gear D1-Epic Regulator Combo

Reviews: 2
stars_5.gif
$219.99

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]This is the response when I e-mailed Edge about an month ago.

Hi Bruce,
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]There is no actual industry spec, that’s for sure and what you have found out. For CE certification in Europe they do have some specs and you will see some regs that are marked for use only above 10 degrees Celsius (50 f) (Like the aqualung Titan in this image) [/FONT]
GetInline.aspx
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The other factor that isn’t often discussed is that technique of the diver is a HUGE factor in controlling cold related regulator issues…[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]For me, I consider a cold reg to be one that can operate consistently from 40f and up, they will operate below 40f but you will need to be aware of technique and also may want to lower the IP to keep them from freeflowing. Heck in extreme cold air temp also is a big factor in how much it will pre cool your reg.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]FWIW, I can use a non cold reg all day at 45 with good technique and have no issues at all, others will have a freeflowing mess in the same conditions.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hope this helps.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Best,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Chris[/FONT][/FONT]

I can only speak to breathing effort and not cold weather performance, but I've got an Edge EXP and it's a great regulator. I recently had a chance to compare it to a rental reg (wish I could remember the brand) and the difference in breathing effort was very noticeable. Jim Lapenta is a good guy to contact about this. I bought my reg from him and he seemed like a stand-up individual. He also has a very good reputation on this forum.

in the EDGE line go with a EPIC 2012 COLD for real honest cold diving. I would not hesitate to use when diving from my mothers property in Moretowns Harbour Newfoundland in January. (moreton's harbour, newfoundland - Google Maps)

It gets fairly cold there

I don't get the cold kits for temperature protection, with care you can make any damn regulator work, even at the poles ... I get cold kits (even here in Hawaii) so that I needn't bathe the innards of my regulators in a corrosive salt solution.

Back
Top Bottom