Any back inflation BC recommended?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too would recommend the BP/W if I was going to shell out money for a new BC. However, if you feel like you just got to have a BCD, then I would definitely recommend the Zeagle. My normal dive buddy has an old one that still works great. It is tough as nails and does have some of the features that make a wing a nice set-up.

I for one, made the mistake of buying a BCD when I wasn't sure about whether I wanted a wing or BCD and then had to work at getting it "switched over" to wing (i.e. sell the BCD to get money to buy a BP/W). I made an unnecessary "middle" step that I regretted.

Most of my diving is from a zodiac type (think BIG zodiac) boat here in the Baltic sea. We carry lost of lead due to the cold water and very few have integrated weights pockets. I have less than 2 kilos of ditchable weight, so my heavy rig with the 20 kilogram HP steel tank PLUS the lead has to be raised over the side! We do this everyday. AND that's with a single tank!

I would NOT let "pulling the pockets" be a deciding factor for me, though it may be to you. IF you feel that you just HAVE to have integrated weights, they do sell this for the BP/W harness.

i dive a bp/w now, but before that I had a zeagle stiletto. Loved that BC, actually in retrospect, i regret selling it, it was great for travel, was lighter than my backplate, rolled up really freaking small, didn't have too many bells and whistles, if i recall had ~25lbs. of lift.

I believe the Zeagle Stiletto is customizable. I know it is a modular set up. I am sure that it can be changed to different lift bladders. You might try going to the manufacturers part of Scubaboard and post some questions there. The manufacturer often answers questions there. I am pretty sure you could order exactly what you want and get it custom built for you. I have a Stiletto and am very pleased with it so far.

Sounds like the Zeagle Ranger is the US version of the UK's ever-popular 'Buddy Commando'. You'll see these at every dive site in the UK...indestructable and a great choice if, for some manical reason, you are adverse to a BP/W. :wink:

Greetings I recently bought a new rear inflate BCD and went through some of the same decicisions that you did. My needs are not exactly like yours but I did want a BCD that would last me a long time. I ended up chosing a Tusa Imprex Pro Cubic. I tried on probably 10 -15 BCD's. I eliminated all but three for various reasons. The three that were left were the Tusa, the Zeagle Ranger, and finally the Scuba Pro Knight Hawk. My opinion is that the Zeagle and the Scuba Pro are probably "better" BCD's but at least at my LDS were over $300.00 USD more expensive than the TUSA! Your reesults may vary on pricing but that was my experience. The Tusa has 5 metal "D" rings per side, 32 lbs of weight capacity in four pockets, and 43 lbs of lift in my size (med). I found these numbers all very comparable to the other two BCD's. So far I have 4 dives on the new jacket so I am still getting used to it ( figuring out how to distribute the weight ,instinctivly knowing where the "D" rings are, etc. ) but I really like the jacket. In my opinion it is worth a look if you can find one. Good luck

I dive a Scubapro Knighthawk and like it very much after a couple hundred dives under a variety of conditions. To each their own.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks for everyone's info again.
Learned a lot from your reply.
Several response.
First, I have tried several BCD of TUSA, honestly not interested to buy it.
Although the truth is they are much cheaper, I found there are lot of hazard to take the pocket off and put it on.
Money is mostly I concerned factor, buy I still like to buy one instead of buy two cheap one.

Thanks Devondiver,
You explain every clearly, although I did not think about BP/W at beginning, because its a bit complicated.
After your info, I start to image to build a BC by myself will be a very interested thing.
I saw another topic about how to choose a BP/W, I may start with that.

About other suggestion about Zeagle ranger, because I have heard a lot of good thing about it and its also on sale at Leisure pro.
I wonder if Zeagle ranger can adjust different part just like BP/W? or Hollis will be another choice.
From the induction, Hollis seems like between Back inflation and BP/W.
And Leisure pro sell it as well.

Thanks again for everyone.
Its a great forum for scuba diving.

not shure what you mean about the ranger being adjustable like a bp/w you can make many adjustments to a ranger ..it comes standard with a #44 lift and you can get a 65 if you want each component can be replaced i e ...replace the shoulder straps /cumberbun /bladder

also right now you can get a new ranger ltd from zeagle express.com for $509 shipped with the weight bags ..if you decide to get a zeagle i would suggest you also buy the saddle straps ..keep us posted as to your choice either way...

ken

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your info about the zeagle express.
They do offer better price compared to leisure pro.

The adjustable like BP/W, actually I just wonder if zeagle ranger can customize and upgrade different part like BP/W.
Because DevonDiver just said I can choose backplate, wing etc to customize my BP/W.
Since I have not idea about BP/W and zeagle bcd, I assume they are still slightly different.

Back
Top Bottom