Any back inflation BC recommended?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colin.wen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
Kind of newbie in this forum and also newbie in SCUBA compared to other member in this site (I only have 500~ dives I reckon).

Had my first BC- seaquest PRO QD+ five years ago for recreational and research purpose in tropical or subtropical area.
I pretty like it but since I move to Australia for studying marine biology, its not enough anymore.
Studying in Australia, I need to dive in cold water (21-23 degree C, its cold for me already) and carry a lot of material during underwater research work.
The reason I found the QD+ is not enough for me due to not enough weight pocket (I only can fit 2 weights for each pocket) and buoyancy (need to carry some heavy stuff).

I am thinking about buying another back inflation or BP/W BC for work.
Due to non-experience about this two BC, I start to read around this thread.
After few reading, what I conclude below but not sure if its right.

BP/W: more buoyancy control, but less integrated weight system and pocket.
back inflation: between BP/W and jacket.

Since I know both of them need some time to get used to it.
I just consider what is cheaper and more easy to get.
From the leisure pro website, I found zeagle, seaquest black dimoond and Hollis are pretty good.
However, still wondering if any experienced member on this forum can give me some advice.

I still have my jacket QD+, so this back inflation one will be used mostly at research.
And since I am a student, price (or C/P) are quite important for me.
I hope I can have that for a long time.

Cheers

Colin

Colin if the QD otherwise suits your needs and has the lift capacity to meet your needs I'd suggest adding a weight belt to your gear.
Otherwise the Sherwood Tortuga size large or extra large has a 45# lift capacity but it's weight pockets top out at 30# of lead. 5# in each of the rear trim pockets and 10# in each of the dumpable pockets.
As for a BP&W the bueaty of it is that you can customize it as you need it with a wing, harness and pockets to meet your needs.

Depending on the size of your BC you should be able to get 30lbs of weight in it. 5lbs in each of the rear pockets and 10lbs in each of the pull dump pockets.

Thanks for everyone's suggest.
Because I am considering to buy oversea from US, some website like leisure pro etc.
I am thinking about BP/W as well, just found it may too complicated to reach my need, like integrated weight pocket.
Because most of the time, we diving with a small boat without platform, we have to pass weight belt/pocket before let others lift our BC from surface.
I think I need a integrated pocket or belt (which I prefer pocket)
So for the BP/W, any good suggestion how to choose harness, wing etc to fit my need?

And other suggestion of APEKS and sherwood is also good.
But I only found zeagle, Hollis, seaquest have good price and function on the leisure pro.
Or other suggested website which can ship to Australia?

Cheers
Colin

When buying a BP/W it makes sense to start with a simple configuration...get used to that..and then decide what (if any) options you wish to add to it.

Firstly, you need to ascertain your weighting requirements - so that you can decide between a steel or ali backplate. Search the forums, as there are recent in-depth threads on how to do this.

Secondly, you need to ascertain your lift requirements. It is highly unlikely than any properly weighted recreational diver would need in excess of 40lbs of lift. Most divers are happily suffice with 30lbs. Again, there is a wing lift calculator on the threads here... try that out to determine your requirements

Thirdly, You need to decide the style of wing/bladder that you want. The basic options are 'donut' (circular bladder) and 'horseshoe'. Many prefer a donut style for single tanks. Some wings come with bungees to hold them tighter, but you would only really need this if you miscalculated and bought a wing with too great a lift capacity. Having bungees for a single cylinder rig is just fixing a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Forthly, you need to decide on your harness option. Many BP/W newbies are tempted to buy the 'delux' comfort harness types, but this is normally just because they are familiar with the type of attachments used on jacket bcds. These are entirely unnecessary for a BP/W. Start with a basic (K.I.S.S.) harness...it is by far the cheapest option. Get some expert tuition on how to size it correctly. Spend some time getting used to it. You can always upgrade to the much more expensive comfort harnesses if you really don't like it.

Lastly, you need to decide on what 'extras' you need. Add-on pockets, trim weight pockets, integrated weight systems. Rather than buying these up-front, it makes sense to get used to the basic rig first...get some experience on it... then see what gaps you need to fill.

As the BP/W systems are entirely modular, you can pick and choose to build a wonderful set-up that is customized perfectly for you and your requirements. However, it is absolutely the best option to start with a minimalist, basic set-up and only add or upgrade components when you really feel that you need to.

It's cheaper that way too! Not often in life that the best option is also the cheapest one! :D

If you decide against a BP/W (I dive this), I would suggest a Zeagle Ranger.

I don't know of a heavier denier weight BCD for sturdiness, it has a weight system that has easily removable pockets for handing up weights ahead of exit. And Zeagle has an incredible warranty (and backs it up) for them - not that it's common to use that warranty. It also has respectable lift characteristics.

Another great point about the ranger is that it is highly adjustable and can be component replaced to customize it size-wise.

It is too heavy to be a good travel BCD, but you already have one for that.

i'll second the ranger i used a "old" ranger for 10 yrs and just replaced it with a new ranger ltd ...right now zeagle express has some great prices on the ranger ltd ..closeout priced @509 usd

If you're asking about a back inflate BCD (not a BP/wing), then I would also recommend a Zeagle Ranger. I really like it, I've used it locally and also in Bonaire last year and I've had no problems whatsoever. My wife has a Zeagle Lazer and she loves it, very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom