Antigua: Dive boat leaves behind two scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead:
I don't understand why operators don't do something a more positive. Why not have a stack of numbered discs or something. hand one to each diver as they board. have the diver take it with them on the dive and hand the tag back to the dm when they get back on board after the dive.

This is even a product provide by DAN ... "free to DAN business members", even:

from http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/index.asp

DIDS (Diver Identification System –
“No Diver Left Behind”)
Free to DAN Business Members, the Diver IDentification
System (DIDS) ensures that dive leaders will always know
that all divers have returned safely from their dives. The
improved system helps divemasters track their divers at all
open-water sites and on charter boats. It is supported by
DAN Donors and DAN Corporate Donors.
Each system consists of 1 or 2 DAN Tag Boards, each in red
or white with 12 numbered DAN Tags, capable of tracking up
to 24 divers at the same time.
Pre-dive, the dive leader assigns each diver an individually
numbered DIDS tag. Before diving, the diver removes the
tag and clips it to his or her BCD. After the dive, the diver
unclips the tag and returns it to the board. The DID System
combined with another diver roll call procedure will help
ensure that no diver will be left in the water.
Make sure none of your divers are left behind! Download the
DIDS Application at www.DiversAlertNetwork.org or contact
the Business Membership team about how you can start
using the free DAN Diver IDentification System. The Diver
IDentification System is funded by DAN Donors.

All I can say about losing divers ... knuckleheaded ... very, very D'oh!

Cheers,
Walter

tonka97 Plan for worst case scenarios. [url:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/spwff1.html[/url]

Expensive?

Cheap if you end up using it!
I have one of these. With the waterproof canister, it is a heavy item for dive travel, after my gear and camera gear, and it usually ends up being left here at home. It's not the most streamlined thing either, and all in all, while I think it's a pretty good idea, it doesn't work for me. I wish I'd saved the $800 or whatever it was.

DandyDon:
That is certainly not a reputable source, which is why SB blocks it. Can't help but wonder about the degree of truth in this story...??

Don, you've never led me astray, but questioning the integrity source is pretty serious--can you please back up your claim?

divermatt:
Don, you've never led me astray, but questioning the integrity source is pretty serious--can you please back up your claim?
Scubaboard policy is to block it as unreliable. You can ask the NetDoc, a Mod, or in Support for more info.

The DIDS (Diver Identification System –“No Diver Left Behind”) that wcl mentioned is really the only way to track divers.

I dove a boat out of Clearwater years ago that issued every diver a numbered SMB. They didn't care if you had your own, you had to take one of theirs when you went in and you gave it back when you got out. All of their SMB's hung on a board. If all the SMB's came back so did all the divers. Very similar to the DIDS - which I have never seen outside of the catalog which is a shame since it's free in most instances to the charter boats.

Head counts don't work, neither do roll calls. I was on a dive op a few years back and the capt took roll call after the first dive. Everyone was accounted for. At the end of the 2nd dive, they had 1 too many and discovered that someone was listed twice on the manifest. Which means the count after the first dive was wrong. They were lucky, everyone was back on board. The problem with roll calls is there always seems to be 2 different people with the same name - that causes more confusion.

The problem or potential problem is real - I am having some difficulty buying the storyline in the first post. When you google a variety of phrases or names out of the story - you get nothing but the one web site that is blocked from here (****). Nothing anywhere else. It would seem that at least one other news/media source would be carrying this story.......

-s

Instead of speculating I went ahead and made a phone call...

Sandals Grande Antigua:
Dickenson Bay, P.O. Box 147
St. John's, Antigua
Phone: (268) 462-0267
Fax: (268) 462-4135

The person I spoke to at the resort confirmed the news story stating that the dive boat came in early leaving two people offshore and the divers were later found safe.

Blades Robinson

A BETTER LINK TO THE D.A.N. Diver Identification System CAN BE FOUND ONLINE AT:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/biz/DIDSApplication.pdf

JahJahwarrior:
Yes, the only sharks invovled where the ones in their heads, but they were in an environment known to have sharks and they were abandoned. They were without food or drinkable water, and without anything to protect them from the environment, other than a wetsuit. Can you really blame them for panicking and becoming overly emotional when rescued?

Granted, crying is a very bad response to a situation like this, as you begin to lose what little fluids you do have to keep you alive through your tear ducts.....but it's understandable.

And I hope shops down there will jump to attention and capitalize on our knowledge of this accident by promoting headcounts and checklists, because that will not only placate scared US Divers, but will help prevent another occurence.

Lastly, it also highlights the need for safety gear. Most divers say bring a DSMB if ocean diving, but never before heard anyone suggest head/face protection. Also, would it be wise to bring water bottles? Perhaps the divers should have been better prepared, but perhaps the boat should have provided the preparement? (ie: given everyone a DSMB, hat and water bottle, whichif unused would be returned before getting off the boat at the dock?)

Water bottles might be a nuisance to carry but my BF and I both use camelbacks while diving. Great for drinking both in and out of the water, even during the day. Perfect for preventing dehydration and cotton mouth.
We also put a floppy hat in our bc's just in case since we are both very fair skinned. Of course, 50spf is a must have and since I'm incredibly fair-skinned (my dermatologist said I'm the lightest skinned person he's ever seen) I always, always have a lycra skin on in the water, a long-sleeved UV protective shirt on out of the water.

On a recent trip, I and at least one other diver (not my buddy) counted heads after every dive. This was in addition to the DM and captain doing the same. The boat was mostly filled with our friends, but we watched for the others and made some new friends in the process.

It probably wouldn't hurt to strike up a conversation with the folks sitting on the bench opposite from you while gearing up on the dive boat.

yes, and I try to chat up the catain too. Seriously, bring him a breakfast sandwich or something! It has also crossed my mind when I know I am the last guy in the water but my SMB makes me hard to miss as I am usually in the vicinity. IPERBS are the wave of the future before you know it, everybody will drift with one.

My own opinion about that source is that they are a bit like Star magazine...first on the story, just don't rely too heavily on the details.

BladesRobinson:
Instead of speculating I went ahead and made a phone call...

Sandals Grande Antigua:
Dickenson Bay, P.O. Box 147
St. John's, Antigua
Phone: (268) 462-0267
Fax: (268) 462-4135

The person I spoke to at the resort confirmed the news story stating that the dive boat came in early leaving two people offshore and the divers were later found safe.

Blades Robinson

A BETTER LINK TO THE D.A.N. Diver Identification System CAN BE FOUND ONLINE AT:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/biz/DIDSApplication.pdf

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad they survived the ordeal.

Somehow I doubt I would be thinking about the movie open water should I find myself in that predicament. I rate that movie at the same level as the jaws series

-s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom