Antigua: Dive boat leaves behind two scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The article in the OP states that at least one of the two missing divers, Ian, was a student. It doesn't say if the other diver, Colin, was certified or not. It sounds like he probably wasn't.

I've never been to Sandals Antigua but, at some Sandals resorts, the routine is for "resort course" students to go out with the morning dive group, while the afternoon dive is reserved for certified divers. Quite likely, these two divers were actually resort course students. This means that they've had an hour or two of orientation and swimming in a pool, and that they can only dive under the direct supervision of an instructor or DM.

Resort course students don't bring skins, hoods, SMBs, or any other sort of safety gear. They aren't accountable for returning to the boat at a certain time. They don't know that it's unlikely that they'll be eaten by a shark. Students, and especially introductory students like I'm assuming these were, are dependent on professionals for their safety.

I'm absolutely disgusted by the lack of professionalism that would allow a student diver to wander off unnoticed, and get left behind. The dive operation failed on so many levels.

<< liability laws there are much more lax --some would say nonexistent. >>

Well, "some" would be wrong. Liability laws in the British Overseas Territories, which includes the Turks & Caicos Islands, are the same as in the United Kingdom and, for all practical purposes, similar to what you would encounter in the USA.

EastEndDiver:
I think the boat crew should be criminally charged for endangerment if that is applicable where they are.It was their screwup not the divers.This story could have had a very tragic ending.Lucky for the divers that they had someone on shore waiting for them if not it might have played out just like the movie they refered to.

I have to say, if any boat crew does this to me, I'd take a day to recover and then drive over to have a "word" with them. Of course, that word would be in sign language. Unfortunately, I don't know sign language so I'd have to "improvise." :D

Its a sad fact that we DO need to be prepared to do everything we can to save ourselves if we are jumping off some random dive op's boat. Some times you just never know....

I think Eastend and Scot M each brought up interesting points:
1. The dive op didn't realize that people were missing until their wives started looking for them.
I guess it always pays to have someone else other than the dive op know where you are so that if your op really drops the ball, someone else will know to come and look for you.
2. The article describes one of the divers as a student.
The fact that one of them was a student indicates that the DM or instructors should have been paying more attention to them. This aggravates an already inexcusable act of leaving divers behind.

an additional comment about saying that the divers didn't return after the designated time: The article stated that the 30 minute dive was cut short and the boat returned to calmer waters for lunch. Now, I don't know if there even was a dive briefing done earlier - or if recall procedures were discussed, but this case should highlight how important these things are when diving in cattle boats.

I like the idea of puking on the Captain... it's a given they won't forget you (but, then again, that's the last time they'll take you out on their boat).

The reason for the very poor quality of the reporting in the story is the same for why the link in post 1 does not work: The source is considered so unreliable that ScubaBoard management has blocked the links and the name of the internet publication. There may be very little truth to the story. :shakehead: Can anyone find a reputable source referencing the story?

A few months ago, while diving Grand Cayman on a bright, clear day with a well known dive operation, a "fellow" diver tried to kid me about all my safety items. I carry two safety sausages, an air-hose fed air whistle, a regular air whistle, one tube of water dye, and two flashlights (even for day dives). And more. I always wear an exposure suit, even in warm water, too. He said, "what, are you expecting to get lost?" I looked at him hard and replied loudly for everyone on the dive boat to hear, "no, I expect a great day diving, but I'm prepared for a bad day." To his credit, he immediately appeared embarassed, realizing he was kidding about the wrong topic. Safety isn't funny. Taking it seriously allows you to concentrate on the fun of diving. And it was a great day of diving!

Perhaps these guys didn't indicate they were going to tip the DM and crew?

For those who have indicated that tipping is ALWAYS required, what is the correct percentage tip indicated when the boat leaves you stranded for less than 8 hours? 24 hours?

:peepwalla:

Working on Plan B:
Perhaps these guys didn't indicate they were going to tip the DM and crew?

For those who have indicated that tipping is ALWAYS required, what is the correct percentage tip indicated when the boat leaves you stranded for less than 8 hours? 24 hours?

:peepwalla:
I fear that I wouldn't have the strength to deliver an appropriate tip to the faces.

Anyone find a reputable source for this story...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom